(84) The Pacifier Fairy - Anxceit

Summary: Virgil and Janus have a young child, Aurora, and it's a momentous moment of removing her pacifier. Doing so isn't easy so the parents have resorted to the help of their friend and relative The Pacifier Fairy.

In England we call pacifiers 'dummies' but I thought that might be too confusing so I went ultra-American on this chapter.

Words: 1179

"Aurie! Come give your Dada a cuddle princess..." Janus sat on the floor, his back against the sofa as he watched his daughter Aurora walk around the room. The girl didn't seem to care about her father's calls - probably because her other Dad was on his phone and she hated not having all the attention. Yes, she was spoilt, but her Dads had no need to stop just yet. She was their perfect girl they had wanted for a while.

Janus giggled as he watched Aurora stare up at her father quizzically - she was so adorable. "Angel?" He said, laughing more when he saw both his daughter and husband turn their heads. "I'm talking to our little angel Raccoon." He laughed, standing to kiss his husband's cheek and pick Aurora up to sit on his lap. "Is the plan ready?"

"Mhm..." Virgil mumbled, then placed his phone down and smiled at his daughter. "We're going to have a visitor soon Aurie! They're super excited to see you!" The father cheered, waving Aurora's hands around that made her giggle. "Where's her pacifier?"

"I think in the kitchen.." Janus disappeared to another room to retrieve the small pink sucker with a flower pattern, placing Aurora on Virgil's lap which she seemed entertained by. But when Janus emerged again Aurora's eyes immediately glowed seeing one of her comfort objects and reached out to it. "No girlie. Remember you're big now." Janus cooed, kissing Aurora's cheek and then Virgil's lips. But Aurora continued looking at the pacifier intensely, but Virgil had a good distraction tactic.

Virgil went into the kitchen with their one year old and brought out a couple of pots and pans for Aurora's favourite activity. The baby loved making noise and was a little musician like her parents were in high school. And when Janus could watch Virgil sitting with their baby, encouraging her to try new things he just fell in love even more. His husband really was the perfect man and together they had the perfect daughter.

At first both parents used to be annoyed by any type of noise in their house. Silence was best, it made the world less anxiety inducing and one person didn't say something wrong. But now... Now was different. Aurora had never been a quiet baby but the fathers embraced her chaos as much as they did with parenthood.

Aurora only stopped hitting her pans when she heard the doorbell - she just cooed cutely as Virgil rushed to the door. The dramatic gasp that came from her father made her waddle over, curious until she saw who her father was facing. "Are you... A fairy?"

Janus couldn't help but take out his phone camera and record a video of his darling daughter's face as the fairy leaped and bounced around the room singing some kind of Disney tune he heard Virgil humming when he thought he was alone in a room. Said fairy was a lot bigger than the mystical creature of course - the fairy was actually Virgil's little brother Roman dressed up in a wig and an $11 fairy princess costume he found at the store he worked at. It entertained the baby though and anything that made Aurora smile made her fathers smile too. 

"Why are you here Fairy?" Virgil continued the performance and picked up the baby on the floor. Aurora tried to lean towards the fairy and grab the sparkles on his chest curiously. This whole situation had been rehearsed and the two men had agreed Virgil would be the one to engage their daughter and Janus would be the one to film - the strict faced father would probably end up crying out of cuteness. He was a wuss. 

"I'm here because I am the Pacifier Fairy!" Roman was good at adding extra dramatics to anything he said, he was also natural with kids so Aurora gravitated towards him. "And my Fairy Godmother told me someone..." He boop-ed the baby's face to make her giggle again, "there's a big girl here who's getting rid of her pacifiers!"

"That's correct! We have a very big girl here!" Virgil responded just as excitedly as the fairy, squishing Aurora's cheek yet again and smiling at the camera. When Janus' and Virgil's baby was a moody teenager they'd look back on this video with a smile, maybe they'd show it off at Aurora's wedding or 21st birthday. They didn't have to worry about that right now - right now they had an adorable one year old that was having a momentous moment in her young life. "Now Aurie..." Virgil spoke softly as he placed their daughter on the floor and knelt down to her level. "Can you show the Pacifier Fairy where all your pacifiers are?"

Aurora did as told and marched towards the kitchen, flailing wildly and pointing to the kitchen counter that her four pacifiers were held by. Virgil carried her up so she could grab them, and Roman unleashed a brown sack from... somewhere... with a smile. "Wow! That's a lot of presents for me!" The little girl looked so proud of herself as she stored the old pacifiers in the bag and babbled in her baby voice about whatever babies babbled about. Roman listened anyway and talked back, knowing the next day he'd rid the disguise and come back as Uncle Roman and get to hear the babbles all over again. 

After hearing enough babbles for the day Roman looked at his Disney-themed watch Virgil got him for his birthday last year (Aurora was a newborn so she'd not remember of course - she might be a little confused when she sees Roman with the fairy's watch though). "Oh! Is that the time?" It was kind of upsetting when Aurora silenced and pouted but she was reassured by her father's cuddles and kiss. "I have to go and see other big children now - you'll be good for me right?" She nodded of course and just like that the Pacifier Fairy disappeared out the door with Aurora and Virgil waving him goodbye.

The video ended at that wave, and Janus placed his phone down and snaked his hands around Virgil's waist. "You're such a big girl Aurie!" He cheered, a little quieter and softer but that's how he usually was around his daughter. He was always scared being too loud and boisterous would make Aurora upset or hurt someway. But Aurora looked so proud of herself and that was perfection.

It was just in time for their daughter's nap at that point so both fathers tucked Aurora into her Rapunzel themed bed and read her a Disney bedtime story before turning on the nightlight and leaving the door closed. As soon as the door closed Virgil grabbed both sides of Janus' hips and pushed him to the side, trapping his husband in a soft but passionate kiss.

Janus was given one command before being dragged to another part of the house so they won't disturb their sleeping daughter: "don't delete the video."