(88) What Is Dad's Job Again? - Intrulogical

Summary: Logan and Remus have a small family of four: their son Janus a kindergartener and Virgil a toddler. While Logan has a totally normal business job Remus has a more... interesting profession. And his son is curious about it.

I was writing this with a headache after my second vaccine eating takeaway kebabs in bed - get vaxxed though guys :)

TW - Remus is a porn star. I mentioned this trope in 'Little Nightmare' but I wanted to continue it here.

Words: 1428

Logan kissed his husband's forehead as he sat down at the dining room table. Today was a special day - Remus was usually never able to sit with his family and have dinner because of his job. He didn't particularly have long hours, it was just an inconvenient time as Logan often finished work in time for dinner and their kiddos couldn't be left alone just yet. 

"Dad! Dad! This looks like a snake!" Janus held a doner slice of lamb, wiggling it and giggling, making both his fathers smile wide. Janus was the couple's eldest - four years old, and was absolutely obsessed with snakes and reptiles. When he was adopted as a toddler he used to refuse to sleep until he had the entirety of a snake encyclopaedia read to him. Now he was slightly more sane but everything the kid did made his parents so grateful they had a family.

The slice fell apart after a few wiggles and back on the plate. Beside Janus was Virgil, the toddler in the high chair that copied his big brother by picking and dropping his chicken bits. Normally parents would be telling their sons to not play with their food - but these two cuties were too adorable for that.

"So what did you learn at school today Jan?" Remus chirped, trying his best to get his kindergartener to actually eat and play later. Janus raised his head and tilted it, his little legs were swinging and hitting Logan's kneecaps but he continued to smile wide.

"We learnt about jobs... What are your jobs?"

Ah, that question. Logan worked in finance like a normal person but Remus starred in - adult films - since he graduated from college. He of course wasn't ashamed about it around adults, and Logan knew what he was going in for as soon as they started a serious relationship, but explaining such a confusing job to such a little boy was completely new territory. They wanted to teach their son sex work was a valid career path if the person wanted it but they also didn't want all thirty four-five year olds in the local elementary school (and their parents) to know about Remus' occupation.

"I'm an accountant Janus, so I do a lot of math and make sure money goes to the right places and people." Janus seemed captivated by Logan's soft words - and even Virgil had stopped scattering his chicken bits all over the high chair and was listening. But Logan didn't seem to want to take this task alone and looked at his husband. 

"And I'm an actor." Remus spoke so quickly that Janus looked confused for a solid minute, tilting his head and eating another piece of 'snake meat'. The parents hoped that would be enough of that type of questioning... But then the usually quiet Virgil spoke up.

"You in movies?"

Virgil's chirps were always so cute and quiet - he was such a shy baby and toddler that was difficult to not cuddle. This time though Remus' eyes were wide and he was trying to think about what to filter and what could be construed in a different way.

"Um, yes..." He started, looking down at his food as it seemed very tempting to stuff his face like Logan was doing. "But I'm in movies for grown-ups. You can't watch them yet."

"When can we watch them?" Janus was the next to chirp, making his other father cough out some salad and blush. It was already awkward when he had coworkers and random shopkeepers say they'd seen his husband somewhere - and some family members had the same experience when he introduced him to them. The last thing he wanted to imagine was his sons finding their dad somewhere like that.

"You can watch them when you're 18." Logan whispered out, still looking down but grasping for his husband's hand. Luckily that was surprisingly the end of the questions for the evening and the rest of the night went off like usual without overly invasive of curious questions from the couple's young sons.

*****

It was the dead of night and Remus had his husband's arm around his waist just as he liked it. Logan was his one and only soulmate, he was a thousand times sure of it, no-one could beat the adorable nerd he adopted two kids with and agreed to marry him six years ago even though he dropped the engagement ring somewhere during their tour of the ancient library. Logan was perfect.

It didn't feel like that long ago Remus was scared to tell the accountant what his job was. They met on a dating app in their twenties and after lots of conversations over text they decided they wanted to meet in person. They went to the cinema to see The Book Thief and then decided to head to Logan's flat after learning they both adored Doctor Who and Logan wanted to show his date his 'sonic screwdriver'. Once he heard that Remus was sure the accountant had recognised him and knew his area of work (even though he said whenever asked on dating apps that he was a cashier) and this whole romance would just become a pump and dump and they'd never see each other again. Logan was a smart man.

Remus was luckily wrong though - Logan just had a sonic screwdriver collection and he was quite idiotic when it came to using words. 

He could still remember it like yesterday, Doctor Who playing in the background as Logan was geeking out over all his collectibles until he sensed something was wrong. "Is everything alright Remus?" The young Logan's voice echoed in his head, watching the happiness momentarily leave his eyes as he looked concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Young Remus said quickly, rubbing the back of his neck, wondering whether he could finally reveal his true occupation because so far he was falling hard for the nerd in front of him. 

"Falsehood." Logan's voice was reassuring even back then as he came closer, wrapping an arm around his date slowly to make sure Remus could lean or push away if he needed to. "Do you have work to go to tomorrow? You can go anytime - you do understand that - and I'll drive you back. As late or early as you want."

"I actually need to tell you a little about my job, I think, before we go further." Remus spoke gently and he was honestly scared out of his mind about this - but Logan continued to smile patiently and that smile was enough to reassure Remus even to the present day. "I'm actually not a cashier..."

Logan looked confused hearing that but didn't have any huge reaction. Remus didn't know if that was reassuring or not. "Go on..."

"Just - don't break up with me when you hear this O-"

"So I should ask you to be my boyfriend first?" Logan giggled, a smile escaping that looked so cute and made Remus' heart beat a million times quicker. His face was red but he nodded anyway, the temptation telling him to kiss the man but he needed to talk about his big secret first. "Do you want to be my boyfriend?"

"Oh definitely - but - um... I'm actually an actor." Logan looked even more confused hearing that and his smile dropped, he was examining his new boyfriend as if trying to figure out what movies the man opposite him had been in. Hopefully that meant Logan hadn't encountered Remus yet - something that was getting rarer by the week as Remus was getting a lot of gigs - but that could come with its own problems if Logan didn't accept the industry. But this was all too much stalling, he needed to come clean. "I'm a porn actor. You might recognise me as The Duke on certain websites?"

Remus was used to identifying recognition or embarrassment in people's eyes, but there seemed to be nothing but curious adoration. "I don't - but that's alright. It doesn't change how I view you."

God, that memory was so good to think about at night. It made him feel so validated and loved and it was the moment Remus realised he'd found his soulmate. A kiss followed at the end of that night and many dates happened that made both men adore each other more and more and eventually they adopted two little boys that left them where they were now. 

And they were in heaven.