(131) Recordings - Royality

Summary: Patton and Roman are two husband planning to adopt. They want to make the journey special though so they decide to keep a video journal on every step. 

Loosely based off chapter 18 of an mpreg one shot series by PattonsCatOnesie (@pattonscatonesie tagging is so difficult on Wattpad I swear ffs hopefully one of these works). The chapter name is the same as this one they just use the Moxiety ship :)

Words: 1435

The recording started with Patton smiling into the camera with pink dusting on his cheeks as he was wrapping a gift for his husband. It was he and his husband's anniversary so of course Patton was going to spoil his love with sweet little gifts throughout the day. But this gift was the most important one.

"I can't believe we're doing this..." Patton whispered to himself as he tied the final bow, looking straight into the camera again. There was a soft proudness in his eyes. The pair had been joking about a moment like this throughout their relationship but this was the first time Patton was going to ask. He was going to ask his husband if they could adopt a child.

After a few more camera adjustments the door opened out of frame and Patton's face lit up again. "Good morning my prince! How was work?" Once Roman came into frame his cheek was kissed and he was brought into a hug, but he realised the camera straight away.

"It was good. Are you recording something darling?" Roman's voice was rough due to shouting at overactive drama students all day - as he worked in a performing arts charity for disadvantaged students. He was already so caring and nice towards absolutely everyone. He was perfect.

"Mhm! Just a little project." Roman probably assumed the project was for work as Patton made a lot of sweet videos of random things for his advertising company. There was often no context provided and Roman just went along with it - but of course there was going to be context for this video. When the gift was placed in Roman's hands he immediately opened it and kept his eyes down. "Do you like it baby?"

"It's a soft shirt..." The performer said softly as he placed the wrapping paper to the side, and Patton was feeling blessed that he folded a gift in a way that the real surprise was hidden. And when he unfolded the shirt Roman's smile became wider. "Hang on I can't read... My child's as sweet as jam?"

"Do you like it?"

The happy smile was caught on the camera and all the proudness omit from it as Patton was brought into a tight hug. "Will I be a Dad?"

Roman's word were laced with excited nerves and he refused to let go of Patton as he looked at the camera, but he could feel Patton nod on his shoulder. He was so, so excited to finally be a Dad with his soulmate.

*****

The next recording showed Roman was turning on the camera as he tied up a red tie and brushed a bit on fluff off his blazer. He was smiling wide and that smile hadn't left in the weeks between these two videos, but he was shaking a little bit purely because this was another big day in their adoption journey. 

"Are you nervous Princey?" Patton jumped into frame and kissed his husband's cheek, letting his pastel blue bowtie tilt slightly to the side but he didn't bother to fix it, instead focusing on his husband's tie. Today was the first interviews with the adoption agency to see if Patton and Roman would be suitable parents. They already knew they would be but they wanted to have it all official. "It'll be alright! They don't have anything negative to say about us."

"I hope they don't." Roman whispered, kissing Patton's forehead as he helped tuck the back of his husband's shirt in. If this interview was going to reject Roman and his soulmate from being parents their hearts would absolutely break. Roman cupped Patton's cheeks and gleamed at him. "I know there's a kid out there that really needs all the uncontainable love that we can give."

Patton's eyes were glistening blue, really encapsulating his beauty that Roman married him for. "What kind of child are you hoping for Ro?"

Roman raised an eyebrow and paused in thought for a second. He had forgotten the camera was recording and just focused on his beautiful husband's perfect eyes that glowed like the stars he used to watch at night as a child. "Gender doesn't matter, at all to me. But age... There's a lot of high schoolers in my theatre program that are in the foster system - and I want to give them hope."

Patton's glistening smile seemed even more beautiful as he brought Roman in for a soft kiss that was kept for a few seconds of recording. The alarm on Patton's phone signified the pair should get in the car so that they'd get to their interview in time. So after a few more 'I love you' squeaks the pair ran out the door excited.

*****

"Roman I think I'm in love!"

"Even more than our wedding day?" 

Roman was smiling wide as his arms winded around Patton in every way possible, as they both looked at the iPad where the profile of one of their possible kids could be. They had recorded videos every single time they got recommended a profile from their social worker, but this was the first time they felt so right about a profile.

The profile was of Micah, a child abandoned from his family because he was female-to-male transgender. He was fifteen and had the unfortunately normal teen mental health issues that Roman was used to balancing at work. Neither Roman or Patton had met Micah in person yet but he just rang all the right bells for the husbands' emotions.

"Hi Micah!" Patton gleamed at the camera as he finally decided that these sets of videos would be for the son the couple were bringing into their lives. "I'm... I can be Paps right sweetheart?" Roman nodded softly and kept his eyes on the photo of a smiling but nervous Micah who had large glasses and wild ginger hair. "I'm Paps but you can call me Patton and this is Roman!"

"Or Dad." Roman interrupted, a wide smile on his face at hearing the word Dad even though both parents had several months to process this change. But Roman couldn't keep his eyes away from the profile that held all the information Roman could possible know about this amazing boy that might be living with him sooner rather than later. "Oh! It says you like reading, you'll get on with Uncle Logan then. And you can cook! Maybe you and Pat can bake cookies together..." Roman kept on reading every trait he saw written down and matching it to people he already knew to get a full picture of his son. God he was so excited.

But once Patton remembered the existence of Uncle Logan he gasped and wiggled out of Roman's grasp to run towards the phone so he could call his brother. As Patton stepped away from his husband's embrace the theatre man's full outfit was revealed: some red sweatpants and the cheesy 'my child's as sweet as jam' t-shirt that was already well crumpled from multiple wears. "I've gotta tell Logie about this! Goodbye Micah - we can't wait to meet you!"

*****

"What do we do if he gets cold feet?" Roman snapped as the camera was covered by Patton's thumb as Patton was trying to balance his phone beside the steering wheel of the car. This recording began in the car, with Patton in the driving seat and Roman next to him, nerves already written everywhere on Roman's face. 

Today was the day Roman and Patton were actually going to be Dads. They had already met Micah quite a few times off camera and he agreed he wanted to be adopted by them - now just came the move in day.

"I don't think he will." Patton smirked and kissed his husband's cheek. This was definitely going to be an unforgettable moment now he was going through this step. "Do you want to say anything to Micah?"

Roman raised his eyes and smiled softly at the camera, just as he would when he finally saw his son. He was so excited to show his son this. Patton held his hand in a clutch as Roman spoke gently and tried to keep his tears back. "Hi Micah... I'm super excited to finally be your Dad! Both Patton and I will support you whoever you are as long as you're honest to yourself..." Patton's forehead was kissed and just like that the husbands were ready. The video ended with a final goodbye and the lovers walked out the car together, holding hands and walking towards the foster home.