(190) I'll Help You Study - Loceit

Summary: Janus and Logan are two very competitive high schoolers that are competing for top student before graduation. But as the pair get closer they begin to find new things about each other - and feelings change.

So, this was written because I'm thinking of starting the 100 Ways to Say I Love You challenge? I'm just doing a random order right now with it but do you guys think I should publish some other chapters.

Also obligatory 'I have no idea how US high schools work'.

TW - Mention of f-slur and homophobic bullying, parental death mentioned

Words: 2175

Being from a small town, it was hard to be a success story. Most people graduated with average grades, got married, rented a house, and had kids. College was for the select few that could afford it and were driven enough to achieve. And Janus was sure he was going to be one of those people.

From reading in the classroom during recess in elementary to attending all extra-curicculars during middle and high school - Janus' entire life was dedicated to academia. But unfortunately there was always one person next to him. Logan Croft. He was smart, driven, and seemed to have the same goal in mind. In this down-trodden small town usually only the valedictorian managed to get a college spot - and Logan was ahead Janus in the race.

But according to the fable of Aesop the slow and steady tortoise will always beat the sprinting hare - so Janus wasn't put off his valedictorian spot when senior year began. First day of senior year began in late August and Janus went straight to his locker to put away the book on moral philosophy he was going to make flashcards of during lunch... only to find the locker arrangement had changed. In the three previous years Janus' locker was next to his nervous raccoon of a friend, but Virgil unfortunately had the opportunity to escape this hell-hole and move to the city so he did just that. This meant there was a new person at the locker to his left.

"Good morning Janus." Logan didn't look up from his book as he opened the locker next to Janus, dropping his keys and a few books into his locker and organising it in a way that didn't look like a bomb shelter. That was usually all Logan and Janus ever said to each other - neither were chatty people nor overly mean. Janus just mumbled a 'good morning' back and organised the books in his locker just to look like he was busy too.

That was until he heard the local bully shout that there was a new f-slur. This particular low-life was liberal with his slur usage and was hated by anyone that wasn't his minion. He was due for an athletic scholarship - it was doubtful he'd take it though.

Logan yelped as he was grabbed by the bully in a rough side hug and laughed at by his minions. "Oh hey Lo... Nice badge you got there! You don't have a crush on me do you?" The bully was spitting insults laced with slurs and Logan just took it. Janus didn't know Logan's sexuality but always assumed he was straight, he'd never heard anyone talk about the nerd's sexuality before. But on this particular day one side of Logan's chest was decorated with a small, simple, rainbow pin.

"Do you get wet dreams about dicks or something then? Honestly that's kind of creepy... Is this your boyfriend here?" The accusatory finger was pointed at Janus by the dickhead as he trapped Logan from entering the sanctity of his locker again. But it was obvious Logan wasn't enjoying these questions one bit and Janus wasn't the type to just stand and watch.

Janus pulled the most unimpressed look he could muster and spoke in a monotone voice. "Just because you're thinking about gay sex all the time doesn't mean everyone else is Chad. If you want to come out the closet just do that already." As expected that snark tore the laughter down and instead the laughter was directed towards the bully himself - and as usual when that happened the bully escaped. Not before pushing Logan into the locker though causing the nerd to yelp again and rub his head after impact. "Ignore him, he's living his best life in high school."