(149) Little Wingmen - Analogical with Kids Creativitwins

Summary: Logan, a tired but active single father, takes his two sons to the park. Roman gets hurt and Remus runs off - but a nervous book reader is there to help out and make Logan fall in love.

Words: 1263

"Remus! The pigeons don't want to play tag!" Logan was tired - he had been tired for the last five years. He had the blessing of two excitable twin boys, which really was a blessing when he had his wife, but since Logan became single it had been more and more difficult to keep up.

Roman and Remus were two round-faced, blue eyed, freckled kids. They had infinite energy and dedicated it to chasing each other, annoying each other and putting themselves in near-dangerous situations. But they loved their Dad too - and they could tell he was struggling and was really trying his best. Still, they could never stop moving.

"Dad! Dad! I can hopscotch!" Roman screamed at the top of his lungs, excitedly jumping on a free bench in order to hop on it. Logan slowed his walk a little and came closer to Roman just so he didn't fall. "I don't need your help Dad. I'm-OW!" 

Roman's ankle hit the armrest as he jumped down, as expected in Logan's eyes. Without a word the father picked his son up and took the bench to examine him. "Remus - come here." Logan said gently to his other son, and Remus went straight to his brother's side while Logan touched the hit ankle. "Tell me if this hurts bud."

Since Roman was a 'big boy' he wouldn't admit that he was hurt, but he was flinching whenever Logan poked or squeezed the swelling area under the kindergartener's Disney socks. "OK, OK... You really hurt your ankle kiddo."

"I'm sorry Dad..." Roman mumbled back, pouting a little as he knew this meant he couldn't play in the playground with his brother like he really wanted to do. That's why they were here.

"No need to apologise Ro. Come on, we can watch Remus play while we eat ice cream!" But once Logan had Roman in his arms just like he did when the boys were babies, he turned to realise Remus was nowhere nearby. "Sh-ih tzu, did you see where Rem went Ro?"

Remus never wondered too far when he ran away. He knew where the play park was so went there without his father and brother. He didn't have any friends to play with just yet but kids would soon come to him like moths to a lamp - his mom always said he had that sort of personality. But the park didn't seem too interesting with no-one to play with. 

There was a mysterious man on a picnic bench though that seemed lonely. He was reading a book with a couple of notepads around him. But he looked way too stressed to exist anywhere near a play park. "Hey! Do you want to play with me?" Remus chirped, kneeling on the bench opposite the man with his cute, happy and welcoming smile.

The man mumbled in confusion, furrowing his eyebrows and blinking twice in order to reboot himself. "Um, uh, no thank you? Where's your parents?"

"Oh - he's just taking care of my brother over there." Remus pointed behind his new adult-friend, towards the trees he came from but in the adult's mind he just believed those trees lead to nowhere. It was very concerning reading on a bench had lead to this situation. "Do you want to meet my Dad?"

"Very much so." Remus' new friend was wide-eyed, his voice laced with panic as he didn't want to seem at all dodgy. Hopefully this kid's father wasn't a part time wrestler or something. "What's your Dad's name?"

Now - Remus always knew his father was interested in everyone, men included. And his father had been single for a few years too. But Remus didn't know much about dating just yet, only how to get a girlfriend. He got his kindergarten girlfriend by going up to her, asking for her name, calling her pretty and asking her to be his girlfriend. So is that how you get boyfriends too? Because if so this new adult-friend was a quarter way to being a stepfather!

"His name's Logan and he likes boys and girls and non-binary people! Do you want to date him?" The confused mumble came from the adult-friend again, his cheeks flashed pink, and he quietly cleared his throat. But before he could answer the child shouted again. "There he is! DAD!"

Logan's anxiety dissipated again once he spotted his kindergartener in a green Among Us t-shirt run towards him. "Fu-ngicides Remus!" As soon as Remus was close enough he was brought into a one-armed hug by his father. And the other adult's heart stopped. 

This father was probably the most attractive person this other man had ever seen. And he seemed like an attentive father too, giving his adventurous child most of the attention and softly disciplining him. The other child, that seemed the same age as his brother but was on his father's hip, looked over to the new adult about a metre away. "Who's that Remus?"

"Oh! That guy wants to be Dad's boyfriend!"

No way was this five year old embarrassing an adult man. "I don't necessarily want that, sorry." The man appeared in front of Logan in a few minutes, shaking his hand with a tremor in his voice that he seemed an expert in containing. "I'm Virgil. I was just making sure your child was safe while you caught up with him."

Logan's soft smile made Virgil's cheeks flush red again. "I know that's code for 'he talked to you and you felt roped into conversation'. I've heard that before." The father squished his son's cheek and encouraged him to go into the playground. "Roman's hurt his ankle kiddo so he can't play right now. We're getting ice cream if you want to do that instead?"

"Can Virgil get ice cream with us Dad?" Roman piped up, smirking at Virgil and making the new man awkwardly smile back before he realised two kindergarteners set him up on a date with their hot father. Said father did seem oblivious though.

"What is it with you two and Virgil? I'm so sorry, they really like me making new friends." Logan chuckled so cutely and nervously, maybe these kids were amazing matchmakers because it was really difficult to hide the love at first sight Virgil felt right now. "You look busy with work, don't mind me and my boys."

Usually Virgil wasn't the type to grab the bull by the horns when it came to randomly meeting attractive individuals, he usually just let them go past and dreamed about them the following week or so. But having five year old wingmen seemed to change that. "It's just classwork I'm marking, I'm a middle school teacher. Maybe I can buy your ice cream?"

There seemed to be a shine in Logan's eyes hearing that, and his cheeks flushed pink slightly and he shyly nodded. "Sounds delightful. I owe you something else for containing my son though."

"Maybe a date?" Roman and Remus were cheering and laughing before Virgil realised what he just said. "Only if you want to! It's just Remus said you were single so I thought we could but it's totally your choice..." Both Virgil and Logan had pink cheeks but slowly Logan nodded and laughed again.

"No, no, a date sounds amazing. You might have to expect two accompaniments though." Logan gave his sons a look of love that Virgil already adored, and both boys watched Virgil with a wonder that made the nervous man feel right. He was going to enjoy being a stepfather.