(174) Chosen Part 3 - Prinxiety + Logicality

Summary: Virgil's brother, Logan, has finally got the courage to propose to his boyfriend of five years. He recruits the whole family to help - including the excitable six year old Grey who hasn't calmed down since toddlerhood.

"But Daaad I don't wanna read!" Grey was being taken early from school, missing his favourite lesson of music, and being stuffed in the car to be taken to the library. His dads were in the front of the car and both looked like they were about to die of laughter.

"We're not reading Little Prince, we're going to help Uncle Logan on his date." One of Grey's fathers, Roman, said carefully. He held a laugh as he met eyes with his boyfriend. 

Grey tilted his head in confusion. Uncle Logan had been dating the same person ever since Grey knew him - he was dating Grey's old social worker Patton. They were both adults (and adults knew everything) and they knew each other well, why would Uncle Logan need Grey's help for a date? "Why are we helping Uncle Logan Dad?"

The second father, Virgil, glanced at his partner unsure. But with a nod from Roman he spoke. "Well, Uncle Logan is going to propose to Patton kiddo. He wants to marry him."

Oh my God, a wedding would be so cool! Grey could look all smart and adult in a suit and there'd be cake and music to dance to! "We're gonna help them get married? Where's my suit?"

Virgil smiled fondly at his son, reminding himself that not that long ago Grey was a cute almost-two-year-old. "He needs to ask Pat first bud. And he's created a treasure hunt to ask him. We're tasked with hiding the photos."

"I'm good at treasure hunting! Can I dress up as a pirate?"

Roman giggled and turned towards the library Grey was dragged to whenever there were book days at school or Uncle Logan was babysitting him. "I don't have your pirate costume in the car, but how about we pretend to be pirates?"

Virgil sighed as Grey started screaming 'arr' and covering one of his eyes with his hand. "We'll be quiet pirates though right sweetheart?" He whispered sweetly but in a command, the way he usually did when his partner got too excitable about something fatherhood related. Roman sheepishly nodded as a blush came to his face.

Grey excitedly ran into the library with one eye covered and shouting. "Arr! Where's the buried treasure Dad?" Before he could run away too far, Grey was lifted off the floor and swung around by Roman. He was then carried towards a corner Virgil was hidden, crouched and staring at a dozen polaroid photos.

"Are those the polaroids Lo gave you Hot Topic?" Roman mumbled, also sitting next to his husband and wrapping his arm around his lover's. Virgil smiled softly and wondered through all the photos. The photos were full of Patton and Uncle Logan together, arms around each other and kissing and being all gross. Kissing was gross.

Grey asserted himself on his fathers' laps like he always did, cringing at each of the lovey-dovey photos. He didn't expect Uncle Logan to be that lovey-dovey. "Why are they kissing so much Dad? It's gross!"

The fathers laughed a little and ruffled their son's hair, splitting the photos between the two of them and giving each other a parting icky kiss. "You'll be seeing a lot more kisses later kiddo - now who do you want to help?" Grey switched his gaze between Roman and Virgil, he hated having to choose between his Dads. But he chose Roman - he'd let him be a pirate.

He didn't like being dragged to the 'space and science' section of the library though. There were no pretty colours and all the books had long and boring titles. But Roman was shuffling through each book with determination. "Grey? Can you see any books that say NASA on them?" Roman had to pause his searching when he got Grey to help him look, as he covered his eyes and made pirate grunts, looking adorable as always. He was the luckiest man in the world to have a soulmate like Virgil and a son like Grey.

"There!" Grey screamed eventually, dragging out a dark blue encyclopaedia probably double the weight of him. Roman opened the book to the first page and stuck a photo of Logan and Patton kissing again. "Why is that picture going into a NASA book Dad?"

Roman let a laugh go as he put the book away again. "It's a picture of Logan and Patton's date to the spaceship museum. They had a sleepover afterwards and the next day Logan sold his apartment! It gave a big shock to us when we found out Uncle Logan could make big decisions that quickly." Roman's eyes flashed back to that day, when he heard Virgil shout down the phone: 'who are you and what did you do with my brother?', and he could hear Logan's laugh the other end of the phone. Grey was small back then too, a month past his third birthday, and he was just as cute as he was now.

"What was Uncle Logan and Patton's first date?" Grey chirped again, staring up at his Dad who was looking fondly at the NASA book. That question got Roman to resurrect again and he looked through the photos he had - smiling at each one.

"That's our next one! Can you see the food section kiddo?"

Now a food section in a library excited six year old Grey. He usually stayed in the kids' section and didn't get to explore, so he imagined the food section of a library to be like a big buffet. He was very annoyed it was just more books. "Right!" Roman's cheer luckily got Grey excited again that he was going to find more treasure. "Where do you think the Hispanic recipes are scallywag?"

Grey loved playing this pirate game with his Dad, and he loved learning about Uncle Logan's relationship with Patton. He knew Patton was his old social worker, but he didn't realise Patton and Uncle Logan began dating the weekend after Grey was adopted. Since Grey was big now, in school even, it made sense Logan and Patton would love each other enough to get married if they wanted to. And since Grey's Dads didn't want to get married, Grey was expecting to be the centre of attention in the wedding service of his Uncle.

Once all the pictures were hidden Virgil dragged his boyfriend and son to hide behind the librarian's desk. "Uncle Logan just parked, we've gotta be extra quiet pirates now OK Grey?" Virgil whispered, a finger across his lips. Grey nodded, looking across the corner towards the front door.

Soon Logan and Patton's laughs were heard through the front door. "Oh, it seems quiet here today Logie! Are we sure it's open?" Patton chirped, holding his boyfriend's hand. Logan looked around nonchalantly.

"I believe it's still open, otherwise it would be locked." Logan ducked to kiss Patton's cheek, making both men giggle and Grey's eyes hid in his parents' chests. "Can we find those books honey?" The couple walked peacefully around the library. When Patton found the photos at first he thought it was just a coincidence, then it was just a 'sweet date thing', until they collected all the books and walked towards the librarian's desk.

"Oh no, it is closed Logie! The librarian's not there." Patton looked dejected to see the desk empty, but Logan continued walking and didn't let go of his boyfriend's hand.

"I'm sure they're just on a break... Hello?" Logan called out, and Grey was unfortunately being held down. He'd love to frighten his Uncle with this surprise! But as Logan was calling for the librarian, Virgil reached towards the bookshelf the fathers were leaning against, shaking the shelves a little so that a boo would fall. Patton jumped a little at the noise and Logan walked forward. He turned to the side, got on one knee, and then completely ignored the fallen book to instead bring a ring out of his pocket.

Patton gasped loudly and tears were already coming to his eyes. "Patton, you're an amazing man and I'm so lucky to have met you. You fit into my family already so well and Grey loves you so much... And I want to have a little Grey myself with you. You're my soulmate and it would make me the happiest man in the world if you were to marry me."

Logan was dragged up into a tight hug from his fiancé, and brought into a disgusting kiss. "Eww! They're kissing!" Grey couldn't help but shout before Patton saw him, but as soon as Patton heard Grey's shout he gasped again and turned. Grey was hugged as soon as he was seen, Patton crying into the hug.

"Were you helping Logie propose kiddo?" Patton whispered, bringing Grey to be carried so Patton could have his fiancé's arm around his shoulders. Logan was watching Grey proudly too, squishing his cheek. Grey definitely couldn't wait to have a cousin, and Patton and Logan couldn't wait to hear all the pirate stories Grey had.