(191) Merry Christmas! - Logicality

Summary: It's Christmas in the Crofters-Hart household, and the first Christmas for a precious little five year old Virgil that never got to celebrate before.

Words: 1199

Patton played some 80s Christmas songs from his phone, only quietly as it was still relatively early. Not as early as it was when Patton first woke up of course - but he didn't want the Christmas magic to start before he had even brushed his teeth.

The cheery man smiled when he felt a hand on his hip as he bent down towards the tap, and he heard a sleepy mumble. "Merry Christmas." Logan said those words with such earnest, kissing Patton's cheek and grabbing for the toothbrush himself. Patton chuckled to himself seeing his very sensible husband, his husband that never removed his tie when they first met, dressed in a unicorn onesie with a Santa hat over his forehead. And he had the sweetest smile as he watched himself with determination in the mirror. "Is it time to wake Virgil up do you think?"

Patton could hang over his husband for eternity like he had done many Christmases before. The lovers would dress in matching fluffy pyjamas and cuddle together until evening watching Christmas movies, then they'd cook a Christmas dinner together and give each other the presents they'd placed under the Christmas tree the few days before.

But now there was a stocking above the chimney. It was knitted black and purple, with storm cloud and spider badges. It was the cutest little thing and was now so full of presents that it was almost too heavy to hang. Patton was so excited to see his son's smiling little face.

The two husbands walked hand in hand, smiling at each other and giggling before opening the door. The bedroom was small but it held Logan and Patton's most precious person, a small five year old that covered himself in blankets and sucked his thumb as he slept.

Logan knelt down and stroked Virgil's hair softly until he started to twitch. "Virgil! Have you looked downstairs yet?" Virgil rubbed his little eyes and mumbled under his breath.

Patton wasn't as soft and delicate as Logan though. "Santa came! And he's got you gifts - shall we go down and check?" Virgil woke up a little more at the excited cheer and sat up in his bed. But he looked more confused than ready to get the day started.

"Does Santa know I'm here?"

Virgil was officially adopted only a few months ago, after switching foster homes a few times. All the Christmases he could remember were in different homes, whether that was his birth home or a foster home that wasn't his forever placement. But now - now he finally had a place Santa would visit every year.

"He does!" Logan cheered, his voice matching the sweet tune of Patton's as he reached for Virgil's hand, still soft and gentle. "Do you want to go down and see the presents you've got?"

The men would happily play with their son in his bedroom if needed but the boy seemed happy to clutch Logan's hand and hop out of bed.

When Virgil rushed downstairs his eyes expended in the way Patton dreamt of when he imagined having a family with his soulmate. Virgil silenced when he saw the pile of presents in the giant sock and the piles and piles of presents under the tree from family and friends. He looked back at his parents to check for validation - and then slowly stepped forward. Then he gasped. "He ate the milk and cookies too!"

"I'm sure they were delicious." Logan chuckled, wrapping his arm around Patton's chest and remembering how the milk was kissed clean off his lips at 1am. And he remembered how cute his family looked as Patton was teaching Virgil how to make chocolate spider cookies. Patton gave Logan a kiss on the cheek, bringing the nerd into a blush at how perfect this life was.

But unfortunately Patton had to escape Logan's embrace to sit on the floor crosslegged and watch their son admire his stocking. "What presents have you got kiddo?"

Virgil grabbed the first present and sat on Patton's lap, Logan made sure the stocking was close as he sat with his family. The gift was ripped eventually with Virgil's clumsy fingers and he looked even more shocked. "It's not coal! I got coal last year..."

Logan and Patton sighed to themselves and tried to resume the day by opening more presents. At least that was Patton's plan, Logan was the one to hold serious conversations with the kindergartener if needed. "You'll never get coal from us, understand that Virgil?" Logan mumbled, squeezing Virgil's cheek as he carried on smiling. "You'll always be on our nice list."

The child probably didn't understand all that earnest but he nodded anyway, more interested in his presents as he received a head kiss from his dads.

But soon the stocking was empty and Virgil was excited to play with all his new toys and eat his chocolate coins. Virgil's favourite stocking toy was a black spider teddy straight from the North Pole that he was going to show all his friends when he was back in school. Logan disappeared to make some Christmas lunch as Patton helped set up Virgil's new train set... And Virgil was running in between. 

Logan didn't like Virgil running around the kitchen as he was cooking though, so when Virgil was in arms reach running past the dishwasher with his toy plane Logan threw his son up and into his arms. "Lift-off!" Logan shouted and laughed, getting a cute giggle back. "Do you want some Crofters with Dada buddy?" Virgil calmed down as he leant into his father's chest, feeling secure, and Logan was feeling loved.

But Logan was also being ignored in favour of the new plane toy Virgil got from Santa. It will be his favourite toy for a couple of months for sure, as the little boy learnt that pilot flew planes a few weeks ago and was sure he'd be a pilot when he's a grown up. Virgil's 'grown up job' was changing every month right now as he was learning about different jobs at school - but he knew that Logan and Patton would support him in whatever he wanted to be.

"Can I show Spidey where France is Dada? He wants to fly there!" Virgil eventually shouted, waving his spider teddy and dropping the plane on the kitchen counter without a care. Logan playfully rolled his eyes and let Virgil run, and he run straight towards the world map coffee table that was Logan's Christmas present last year. And Virgil's favourite object to learn from right now.

Logan knelt down towards Patton and gave him a kiss on the cheek and a Crofters sandwich. "Santa got you something baby." Logan whispered, revealing the present he had hid in the kitchen counters for a couple of months. Patton and Logan sat together as Patton unwrapped it, they were watching Virgil explore Europe until Patton excitedly screamed.

"You do like my jokes!"

Logan got Patton a Dad joke book, because he was a Dad now. The other father smirked and playfully sighed, ruffling his husband's curly blond hair. "Unfortunately I do. I love you."