Chapter 6

Chapter 6 – Miss’s Punishment

Ning Ning glanced at Boss Qu.

Because of that song of his.

“Kidnapped kids, are made to pick a wooden man. Whoever picks a lame, will have their legs broken; picks the blind, will be blinded; picks the amputee, we cut their limbs. Then, as beggars, they’ll beg for money.” This song originally came from Zibuyu- ‘What The Master Would Not Discuss’- by Yuan Mei*. Ning Ning had not read the entire book but this paragraph wasn’t hard to interpret; the general idea was that a group of human traffickers kidnapped children, then made them pick a wooden man from the wooden box: if a lame was picked, their legs would be broken, if one with broken arms was picked, they would have their arms broken. The human traffickers created a bunch of handicapped people, then threw them out onto the streets to beg for money.

No wonder Boss Qu was so rich. Because he was a human trafficker. Every silver dollar in his hands, every piece of clothing in her wardrobe, was deeply drenched in human blood.

The box on her thighs was the wooden box sung about in the lyrics. And, if the lyrics turned out to be true, then the kidnapped child would be made into the appearance of whatever wooden man they picked.  

Yet, what led Ning Ning to shudder all over was that there were not many men in the box- it mostly consisted of animals.

Ning Ning gathered herself together and picked a wooden mouse up to give it a closer look; this wooden mouse was different from the human faced puppy that she had picked up earlier. This one was a small delicate mouse that had a pair of a human woman’s big breasts.

“Good pick.” Boss Qu stopped humming and smiled. “This mouse beauty will do, it suits her.”

Li Xiulan once again started struggling, but was kicked down to the ground by Boss Qu who stepped on her mouth with his foot, making her unable to let out a word.

“Pa.” Ning Ning asked cautiously, “What are these small wooden items… used for?”

She only knew of human traffickers making kidnapped children blind and lame, but to make them into a mouse or dog… is this the magical version of the Republic period?

“You don’t have to know.” Boss Qu obviously did not want her to know the truth, thus he replied ambiguously, “You just need to pick one.”

“You, you agreed…” Li Xiulan struggled to say, “agreed to let me pick.”

Boss Qu gave her a few more kicks, stating coldly, “That was before, now you don’t have a choice.”

Li Xiulan was helpless against him, hence she could only vent it out on someone else. A pair of eyes filled with resentment and hatred pierced through the curtain.

Behind the curtain, Ning Ning was currently stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Although she had no clue about the purpose of the other wooden carvings, instincts told her that it wasn’t anything good, otherwise, Li Xiulan wouldn’t be struggling so violently.

“Can I not pick?” Ning Ning rubbed the mouse beauty in her hand and quietly asked.

“There are only two outcomes for her today, to die, or to accept punishment.” Boss Qu rejected her query immediately as he spoke out in a cold voice, “If she is allowed to walk out of here today without any punishment, anyone would dare to bully you in the future whenever I’m not around.”