Chapter 36

36: The Real Inheritance

"Let me go! Let me go!" The Scholar Mask's head was forced back. He was dragged backward by that boney hand right up until he collided into a hard chest.

The Doorman pushed his chest against the Scholar Mask, his left hand ruthlessly grabbed onto the Scholar Mask's hair. He slowly raised his right hand and gently placed it on the mask of the Scholar Mask.

"...No! Cough, cough. Don't do it!" the Scholar Mask suddenly sounded like he was choking on water. It looked like he was sweating, water was flowing continuously down his neck—no, that was not sweat, no one could sweat that much.

It was like someone had turned on a tap, there was no end to the water which was flowing down from the mask. Splish, splash. It was hitting the floor and was quickly forming a small puddle of water.

The Doorman suddenly released his hand gently, the Scholar Mask bent over and knelt down in the puddle of water. The water splashed onto Ning Ning's face, she couldn't wipe it, however. She was watching the Scholar Mask with chills—no, she could no longer call him Scholar Mask at this point of time.

The mask on his face had changed from a frivolous scholar face to a painful drowning face. He struggled to peel off the mask with both his hands, but the mask was like his face, he could not take it off no matter how hard he tried. Even if he started smashing his face he could not smash the mask apart. The only thing that happened was that the water continued flowing onto the floor, spreading about like snakes, flowing towards Ning Ning's feet.

Ning Ning was so frightened that she started retreating, afraid of letting the water touch her.

"I...gurgle, gurgle...I was wrong..." Opposite of Ning Ning, the Scholar Mask had already crawled back to the Doorman's feet. He was hugging the Doorman's legs and was piteously begging, "Forgive me, forgive me...gurgle, gurgle..."

The Doorman was indifferent to his begging, he slowly turned his head around. Underneath his snow-white mask, a seemingly familiar pair of eyes looked at Ning Ning.

Ning Ning suddenly shivered, she turned tail and ran.

"Stop! Stop!" She raised her hand to hail the taxi by the road. She frantically opened the door to the car and told the driver her home address as she entered.

As the taxi started to drive off, she turned around to take a look.

Not far behind, two clusters of lanterns waved in the air, as if they were two funeral banners at a mourning hall1. The Doorman stood beneath the banners, looking at her from afar.

Ning Ning slowly turned back and held her face in her hands.

"It can't be." She said quietly, "It can't be him...sob...blargh..."

It might be that she was too frightened, or it might have been something else, the dizziness from two days ago reappeared. Ning Ning bent down and retched painfully.

"Hey hey! Don't vomit in the car!" The driver panicked. "I will stop the car by the road, vomit after you get off!"

Ning Ning raised her head with difficulty and said, "Bring, bring me to First Hospital......"

She fainted before she could finish talking.

A few hours later, City First Hospital.

Ning Ning opened her eyes on the hospital bed. She groaned painfully in her heart when she saw someone by her side, so she closed her eyes again.

"It's alright, you don't have to pretend." Cui Hong Mei said blandly as she peeled an apple, "I saw you opened your eyes."

Ning Ning opened her eyes impatiently. "Why are you here?"