Chapter 9

Chapter 9 – I Believe

Chen Junyan initially thought that he would come face-to-face with a wailing Miss, but that wasn’t the case.

The huge bout of snow was sudden, and since there was no way Boss Qu would allow Ning Ning to watch the performance in the snowstorm, they had all gathered in the room, sipping on wine beside the red clay fireplace.

Ning Ning was the one who broke the silence; she unhurriedly turned the porcelain bowl in her hands.The warm rice wine inside followed her movement by swirling along the rim of the bowl, the steam assailing her nostrils. It left her a little intoxicated without having taken a single sip. She lifted her gaze and asked in an unusually calm voice, “You’re here to persuade?”

Chen Junyan took a quick glance at her– she not only had a calm voice, but a calm expression as well.

The only problem is that she’s too ugly.

From his side Boss Qu stared intensely at him, hence he didn’t dare to lower his head nor shift his line of sight. All he could do was fixate his gaze on Ning Ning’s face, “I’m not here to persuade.”

“Really?” Ning Ning wore a mischievous smile as she placed the bowl down, stood up, and began to walk towards him. She crossed her arms behind her back while her upper body tilted towards Chen Junyan. That face which could either make babies stop wailing or even make them cease breathing came very close to him. “Look at me and tell me, what do I look like in your eyes?”

Boss Qu coughed lightly– a clear warning signal.

A Qing dynasty princess, a fairy that fell from heaven, and a noble flower in the mortal realm… all these cliché terms had been memorised carefully by Chen Junyan. However, he had no intention of using any of them at this moment, for they were truly too fake. Every single word was fake!

“You… aren’t pretty.” Chen Junyan had just spoken those three words when he heard the sound of a gun being loaded. The palm he placed on his knee immediately clenched into a fist. He endured the fear inside and resolutely told Ning Ning without blinking even once, “Is that what you think?”

Ning Ning was stunned into silence.

“Miss, why do you have to think of yourself this way?” Chen Junyan spoke slower this time. “No one has ever said that you’re ugly, or perhaps someone has, but besides him, everyone else says you’re a beauty. Why do you not believe the people around you, but that one stranger instead?”

“I…” Ning Ning hesitated before continuing, “Because I know that what he said was the truth.”

“Why are you so sure?” Chen Junyan countered.

Because I’m not Qu Ning’er, and I do not believe Boss Qu’s words at all. Ning Ning relaxed her shoulders and faked a relaxed smile. “Isn’t it obvious? The reason why there isn’t even one mirror in my room is because they’re afraid I might faint from the shock. Also, isn’t it because I might frighten the passers-by on the road the reason why I have never been allowed out of the house my entire life?”

Chen Junyan started laughing. “Miss, you seemed to be talking about someone else and not yourself.”

Ning Ning was once again stunned into silence. Then, her cheeks heated up as a sudden bout of shame overcame her.