Chapter 170

170: The Final Scene

"Hello, it's 'Are You Hungry Takeout'..." The delivery man held a bag and walked up the stairs, he was almost frolicking as he thought about the possibility of asking for a signature when the door opened later.

He stopped suddenly in his tracks and looked back.

A rubber ball dropped on the floor, bounced twice and rolled into a corner.

Who threw the ball? The delivery man looked up, no one was in sight.

His gaze then returned to the ball. He furrowed his brow before he continued up the stairs, mumbling, "How unlucky, there had to be a power outage when I'm here..."

The apartment building without electricity was pitch black, there was only a single ray of moonlight shining in from the window of the corridor.

Just as he stepped on a step of stairs, he suddenly heard a sound, "Thump."

—The sound of a rubber ball hitting the floor.

Thump, thump, thump. Once, twice, thrice, who was bouncing the ball behind him?

The delivery man quickly looked back, there was no one! There was only a rubber ball at the instant he looked back, falling to the floor, bouncing twice and rolling towards a corner.

He started sweating very quickly, instinctively taking two steps back. His heels were tripped up by the stairs, causing him to fall down sitting on the stairs. He cursed under his breath before he frantically got up. He did not dare to run down the stairs in the direction of the ball, he could only climb up with all his might.

He rushed to Ning Ning's door in an instant.

"Open up, open up!" He punched and kicked the door in front of him, not caring if he would get a poor rating later.

The door did not open, an eye appeared behind the peephole. She said, "Is it the delivery man?"

"It's...me...behind..." The delivery man huffed and puffed as he spoke incoherently.

"There's nothing behind you." Ning Ning said.

Just as her voice petered out, the light outside her door flashed, then the corridor turned snow white—the electricity had come back up.

"It's true." Ning Ning said gently, "See for yourself if you don't believe me."

Sometimes humans were like moths, they feared the dark and liked the light. This sudden burst of light seemed to have given the originally limp delivery man a shot of strength, giving him the strength to look back.

Phew—the sound of a long breath.

There was no one behind him, neither was there a rubber ball.

With a lingering fear in his heart, he lost his mood to get the signature as well. "I'll leave the food here." The delivery man bent down and put the food on the floor, then turned around and walked into the elevator.

Ding—

The door opened, the delivery man entered. He turned around and faced the door, his eyes suddenly widened, he quickly hit the close door button.

Thud, thud, thud—the sound of a bouncing ball.

There was not a person in sight in the corridor, but the sound of the bouncing ball got closer. Thud, thud, thud. A brown rubber ball bounced up and down, coming up the stairs step by step.