Chapter 72

72: Three Questions

"Why did you ask me since you already knew?" Cui Hong Mei laughed coldly.

Ning Ning was dizzy for an instant, she closed her eyes and opened it again. "Whom did she buy the tickets from?"

"How would I know?" Cui Hong Mei placed her coffee cup on the table and added a few sugar cubes, she mixed them with a spoon. "She treated only you as family, not me. She hid everything from me, had her guard up against me..."

Cui Hong Mei stopped stirring her coffee, a desolate expression flashed across her face.

But the desolation only lasted for a few seconds, she quickly reverted to her usual looks, a face of bitter sarcasm. "But I have eyes and ears, I can hear and see things, she cannot hide those things from me."

"What did you hear?" Ning Ning could not help but sit up and look at her. "What did you see?"

"Everyone treated me as the bad guy, and treated her as the good one." Cui Hong Mei said blandly, "There is no one in the world who is purely good or bad. The peerless movie empress, the crown jewel of art, a world's wonder—leading an ill-fated life due to her bloodsucking mother who destroyed it...She was not as innocent as all of you thinks she was."

...What the hell, isn't this what's written on the entertainment news? You said that you don't care about people scolding you on the surface, but the fact is that you've already memorised the exact things people were scolding you about?

Ning Ning ridiculed Cui Hong Mei in her mind and asked, "Why did you say so?"

Her phone suddenly rang before Cui Hong Mei could answer.

It was her manager calling.

"Hello." Ning Ning stood up impatiently, she took the call in the washroom. "I'm a little busy right now..."

Li Bo Yue interrupted her, "What is more important than work?"

"A little personal matter." Ning Ning said, "I will call you back later, maybe in an hour?"

"We don't even have a minute to lose." Li Bo Yue said, "Opportunities are hard to come by, you have to come back immediately."

A few minutes later, Ning Ning returned from the washroom. Cui Hong Mei tilted her head and sneered at Ning Ning before Ning Ning could say anything. "You are turning more and more like your mother."

Ning Ning was stunned by those words.

"Work, work, work." Cui Hong Mei slowly repeated this word a few times. "The two of you only have work in your lives, nothing else."

Ning Ning was suddenly flushed, she wanted to refute, but she did not know how to.

Because she had indeed needed to go back to work.

"...I have something urgent today." After a period of time, she said awkwardly, "I will invite you again next time."

Ning Ning picked up her bag stiffly and left after she paid for the coffee, but Cui Hong Mei's voice rang out from behind her before she could take a few steps.

"Oh that's not right." Cui Hong Mei laughed at her back. "You two claim it's for your dreams, giving up everything for your dreams, how noble."

Ning Ning stopped in her tracks for a moment, before continuing to leave.

She raised her hand to hail a taxi, boarded it and stated the name of her company.

The taxi drove off. She stared at her reflection in the window and raised a hand to touch her cheek. "Am I becoming more and more like Mama?"