Chapter 85

85: Not a One Man Battle

The door closed behind Ning Ning.

She stood by the door, looking at the bed in front of her along with the old man on the bed. His eyes were firmly shut as he laid on a big pillow, a blanket covered him up to his waist, his fingers were interlocked with each other and were placed on his stomach. His sleeping posture was grand, like you could immediately move him into a coffin and bury him.

Ning Ning took a deep breath, she treated this as an audition.

The person on the bed was the interviewer.

The topic for the audition was <<Family Affection>>.

She, along with everyone in the Lian family, were all actors.

What she could foresee was that most of the people among the rest of the family did not pass the audition, but a few of them had used their sight, intelligence or maybe luck to pass this audition.

Ning Ning was the last person and also the person with the worst circumstances.

The others could beat their chest and stomp their feet, they could cry and wail, they could lament to Heaven and hit their head on the floor, they could even cry until they fainted in the toilet, but she could not. As a person who had never met the Old Master, as a person who was meeting him for the first time at his funeral, Ning Ning could not go overboard on her performance, that would be too fake. Maybe outsiders would go against their conscience and say that she was filial, but the interviewer would definitely grade her poorly.

What kind of a lukewarm method should she employ to interpret this topic?

Ning Ning walked step by step to the bedside. She looked down and sized up the old man on the bed, suddenly saying, "You look different from how I imagined you."

She looked at her surroundings before she pulled a chair over and sat on it. She didn't sit on the chair in the proper way, but in reverse instead.

The back of the chair was facing the old man, she was straddling the chair. Her arms were crossed on the back of the chair, it was not ladylike or elegant at all, it looked like no one taught her manners, she looked like a wild child who did things without any restraints.

"I thought every rich man would be fat," Ning Ning told the old man on the bed, "why are you skinnier than me?"

The old man used to be fat and happy, but the doctor ordered him to go on a vegetarian diet, then he starved till he slimmed down. Old Master Lian answered in his mind, then pricked his ears up to continue to listen to what she had to say.

Yet, her voice disappeared for a full minute. Just when Old Master Lian thought she had quietly left, the sound of papers rustling rang out.

"The notes I have prepared earlier are going to go to waste." He heard Ning Ning say slowly, "First suitable topic to talk to grandfather about: jiangshi films. I have to highly recommend <<Old Master Jiangshi>>. Because, grandfather first of all loves jiangshi films, second of all loves old master films, the two genres combined would certainly please him. On the other hand, I have to heavily criticise <<Jiangshi Harem>>, because grandfather hates adult films..."

Who was it! Old Master Lian felt a surge of anger within him, who was the spy that was leaking information about this old man...?

"I don't need these anymore." Ning Ning said as she scrunched up the papers into a ball. Of course it was impossible for her to have notes, Pei Xuan had never told her about any of these, but the future was the era of the internet—a lot of secrets were not secrets anymore, including the fact that Old Master Lian was an experienced jiangshi fanatic...