Chapter 80

80: Bait

"Mu Er." Her colleague Xiao Zhang talked to her secretively. "Do you need money?"

Ning Ning's poverty is a semi-public secret, she admitted honestly as she washed the dishes. "I always need money."

Xiao Zhang looked at their surroundings then continued to talk to Ning Ning in a secretive manner, "I have an opportunity for you to make big bucks."

Ning Ning, "Is it illegal?"

Xiao Zhang, "Of course not."

"Why are you making it sound like some underground dealing if it's not illegal? Just spit it out." Ning Ning said.

"It's like this..." It seemed that it was something that was very difficult to say, Xiao Zhang hesitated for a moment before telling her, "There is a big boss whose family is pressuring him to get married, but he does not want to get married at the moment, so he wants to hire a girl to act as his girlfriend temporarily..."

Eh, isn't this renting a girlfriend for the new year? Who would have thought that these things would exist in this time period, that is pretty trendy.

"This is an opportunity to make big money, but this doesn't seem to concern me." Ning Ning thought about it and said, "He can't bring two girlfriends home for the new year."

"It's not certain that he would pick me, what if he picks you?" Xiao Zhang tugged at Ning Ning while she whined, "The one who gets picked has to buy dinner for the other."

Ning Ning, "You could do away with the dinner, you could just give me the money that you would have used for the dinner instead."

Xiao Zhang, "...Oh."

The two of them went to an office building after work.

This boss made the entire process (seemed) like hiring an employee, he even had closed door interviews. Ning Ning sat on the stool outside the room and quietly waited after Xiao Zhang entered. She felt that something was off, but she could not specifically point out what it was.

There were sounds of footstep approaching her, a man had walked over and sat beside her.

"Have I seen you somewhere before?" Pei Xuan smiled as he looked at her.

Ning Ning took a glance at him before lowering her head again.

"I remember now, we met at the hospital." Pei Xuan stated suddenly. "Is your mother doing well?"

Ning Ning shook her head gently.

"I have a patient at home too." Pei Xuan sighed again. "They had a traffic accident and became a vegetable at a young age, what about you?"

"...My mom too." Ning Ning answered softly, "A cupboard fell on her head and she became a vegetable."

"It must cost an arm and a leg to treat her." Pei Xuan stared at her hands, "What do you do?"

"...I work at a hotel." Ning Ning curled her fingers up. The weather was getting colder, the dirty dishes were piling up, causing her to have cuts and frostbites on her hands.

"You look young, you're still in high school right?" Pei Xuan said with pity, "It must be difficult to be working at your age, do you not have reliable friends or relatives?"

"...No." Ning Ning answered with extreme vigilance. Although Pei Xuan seemed to be casually conversing with her, he was actually trying to dig out some information from her.

Every move this person made and every word this person said had a motive attached to them. She did not believe that he would waste time on a random passerby. What was going on? What did he want from her?