Chapter 127

127: Sneaking In

Ning Ning felt that Chen Shuang He had been a little weird recently.

For example, he sent this message on WeChat.

[It's my mother's death anniversary tomorrow, will you visit her with me?]

Were they that close? Besides, there were rumours about them recently, shouldn't they avoid each other even more at this point in time?

Seeing that she didn't reply, Chen Shuang He sent another message.

[We'll just be there for a short while, you can visit your mom while we're there.]

Upon seeing that message, Ning Ning felt a little guilty. She had spent too much time at Life Theater, she would be busy with work when she came out, she had never visited Mama.

[Alright, then.] She replied. [What time tomorrow?]

In the afternoon on the next day, Chen Shuang He drove to her house and fetched her to the cemetery.

It was not the Qingming Festival1, the weekend, nor was it a public holiday, thus, there were barely any people around, there were only tombstones as far as the eye could see.

What was coincidental was that the graves of their mothers were not far apart. When they arrived, Ning Ning saw a line of people mourning Ning Yu Ren.

"Big Sister Ning, you left us too early."

"That's right. Without you, I can't even watch television shows anymore."

"Rubbish, you were watching <<The Overbearing Lord Fell in Love with Me>> yesterday."

"I just wanted to see what today's shows are about!"

It looked like they were old fans of Ning Yu Ren.

"How great." Chen Shuang He stood beside Ning Ning with a pair of sunglasses on his face, saying blandly, "A generational movie empress, even if she were to die, there would still be a crowd of people who love her, who hold her in their memory. Unlike my mother, only I remember her."

It was a lonely gravestone. "Benevolent Mother Chen Hui's Grave" was written on it. No one had prayed2 for her for a very long time, there were neither flowers nor offerings. It had the depressing aura of being forgotten by the people of the world.

"Come to think of it, my mother would frequently watch your mother's films." Chen Shuang He bent down, placing the white flower bouquet in his hand in front of the gravestone. "She would always watch them with me."

Were they fans of Mama? Ning Ning said modestly, "Thank you."

Chen Shuang He smiled for a moment, his smile was a little weird.

He remembered the times when he was a child, when he was forcibly hugged by his mother, when the room was darkened with all the curtains closed, the only light came from the black and white television in front of them. Mother would point at the television and say, "Look, it is this woman. She seduced your father, she made him not come home anymore, ignoring both of us."

Ning Yu Ren.

Ancient, modern, republic; heroine, department store worker, a rich young lady with bound feet3...; the movies this woman was a part of, he had never missed one. He would finish watching them even if it meant forcing himself, because only by doing that, would his mother revert back to her normal self, pulling open the curtains to let light shine in from the outside, making him delicious braised fish and smiling at him gently.