Chapter 128

128: Night of Revelry

...Was there still hope for Chen Shuang He??

"Hey! Chen Shuang He! Hey!" Ning Ning shouted a few times at the entrance. Not only did Chen Shuang He ignore her, no one else came out to take a look at her. She was so anxious that she started to jump about.

She had no choice, she would answer the phone call for him first.

"Hmm, why is it you?" Director Chen's voice rang out from the other end. "Where's Shuang He?"

Ning Ning pressed on her temple that was hurting. "He's not available at the moment, I'll get him to call you back later."

"Oh, there's no need." Director Chen laughed. "I heard the two of you were together...did the two of you go to the cemetery together?"

"Yes, that's right." Ning Ning was a person who was once bitten, twice shy, so she was afraid that he would bring up the topic of matchmaking next, thus, she asked a question first, "Director Chen, I heard that today is your wife's death anniversary, why did you not visit?"

"I'm a very busy man. I'm in the midst of preparing for the next movie, a very important movie." While speaking about his wife, Director Chen's tone was that of someone talking blandly about a stranger. "Shuang He being there is enough. That's right, your mother is also buried at that cemetery. Did you visit her while you were there?"

"I did, there were even a few of Mama's fans..." Ning Ning said.

"Oh? Tell me about it." Director Chen was more interested in those few fans than his deceased wife's matter. He urged her on very strongly, Ning Ning could only describe the entire process. He sighed as he said in sad remembrance, "Only old folks like us would remember Yu Ren's peerless charm, I should go visit her next time as well..."

"You don't have to," Ning Ning suddenly interrupted him, "Chen Shuang He and...your wife needs you more, isn't that so?"

"So what?" Director Chen answered naturally, "I don't need them."

Ning Ning fell silent, she did not know how she should answer that. Director Chen, on the other hand, continued to talk, "Then let's make it this weekend. After I deal with everything I have on hand, I will have exactly one day to visit your mother, do you want to come along? Tell her that you will be acting as Phantom. Ah, how could I have forgotten? I have to personally tell her that no matter what..."

"I...I'm not available on that day." Ning Ning declined Director Chen. From the beginning to the end, Director Chen had been talking about Mama. He was not concerned about Chen Shuang He at all, even more so for his deceased wife. This made Ning Ning feel strangely awkward. She also understood why Mama had kept her distance from Director Chen in those years in the past—outside of work, she never seemed to interact with him.

An unrequited love was sometimes scarier than unrequited hate.

After she hung up, Ning Ning stared at the entrance for a good while. Out of the blue, Ning Ning gritted her teeth, holding onto the ticket in her hand tightly, she summoned her courage and walked in.

The doorman was absent tonight, there was no one to stop Chen Shuang He from entering, there was also no one to stop her from doing so.

The blood red poster by the entrance and her own experience of almost sneaking in last time made Ning Ning's legs feel a little limp. She had already made all sorts of mental preparation, but had never expected that Life Theater would look like this.

"Crack!"

A small salute rang out, colourful ribbons flew in the air.

The salute had been fired from the audience seat. The seats that were in ruins before had already returned to its original state. Carved wooden chairs were lined up neatly in a row. The seats were filled up—Ancient Noblewoman Mask, Crying Old Man Mask, Monkey Mask...masked people had filled the seats to the brim.