Chapter 8

Chapter 8 – Papa’s Lies

“What’s wrong Little Sparrow?” In the courtyard, Ning Ning looked curiously at the young man before her.

The other party remained silent for a moment, before stating quietly, “I’m not Little Sparrow, my name is Little Freckle.”

(T/N note:Sparrow is Máquè(麻雀) and Freckle is Quèbān(雀斑))

Ning Ning immediately felt awkward. Calling another party by the wrong name wasn’t intentional, but because there were truly so many people that had come over to perform, and he had come over the least…But most importantly, he didn’t have much of a presence.

Cough, “Take a seat, Little Freckle.” Ning Ning masked her awkwardness with a cough. “Let’s take a short break and wait for my papa to come back before starting.”

Wang ma brought pastries and tea for Ning Ning, Little Freckle, and the guard. Although the guard declined the tea, he still couldn’t control his bladder – one hour later, tremblings started emerging from his body…

“…Go if you need to.” Ning Ning said.

“Excuse me, I’ll make it quick.” The guard left while trembling with his legs bent together.

After he left, Ning Ning absent-mindedly ate her pastries. If it wasn’t for that incident involving Li Xiulan, she could have nearly believed this to be a documentary about the daily life in a circus, with the synopsis probably going something like this: Boss Qu, like the magician genius Liu Qian, leads his disciples and grand disciples to carve a niche of their own. In the process of doing so, member of the circus- Chen Junyan and Li Xiulan fall in love and slowly became a couple… something doesn’t feel right!

“Hm?” Ning Ning abruptly came back to her senses and turned to gaze at the young man before her. “Little Freckle, what’s wrong?”

Little Freckle looked odd. He had his head lowered while his gaze looked Ning Ning up and down. His cheeks were red, he breathed heavily, and his hands that hung at the side of his body constantly clenched and released. Then, he took a stride and rushed up to her- lifting an arm up in an attempt to grab the mask on Ning Ning’s face.

Nobody expected this move, or to be more accurate, nobody thought he would dare to do so.

“What are you trying to do?” Wang ma broke out into cold sweat and, without thinking, threw her body forward to stop him.

However, Little Freckle was prepared for Wang ma’s pounce. The ball in his hand was in a gunny sack, and although it could be called a ball, it was actually a rock that had been sanded round with coloured paint applied to it. During his performances, he would throw six of them into the air and juggle them, but because Little Freckle’s skills weren’t too good, he would throw one up into the air and then drop one, causing the audiences to jeer at him.

But his operation this time didn’t require him to have much skill.

He ruthlessly smashed the rock within the gunny sack onto Wang ma’s face, causing her face to turn from a pale color to one dyed in red.

Taking advantage of the time given as Wang ma fell to the ground making blood-curling screeches, Little Freckle took a sharp inhale, turned around and proceeded to walk towards Ning Ning.