Chapter 155

155: Exorcism

"I still can't trust you."

The dancers on stage had stopped. There had been too many accidents that day, they thought that everything would return to normal after they had a substitute. Ning Yu Ren started to talk to herself at last.

"If you did not want us to take part in the Nuo dance, you could have told us directly," Ning Yu Ren said, "but you didn't say anything, you led us into the village instead."

Ning Ning was not the only one who could see masked people, Ning Yu Ren could do so too.

The day they had arrived at the village, when the car broke down at the road, when they were arguing about whether to carry on or go back, Ning Qing had appeared. He could have warned them, or he could have turned back and told them to stop—when they were following him—to leave the village...

But he did not say any of those things.

He led them to the village step by step.

"You wanted us to take part in the Nuo dance, is the candidate Ning Ning? Or me? " Ning Yu Ren fell silent for a moment, she got the answer. "...It's Ning Ning."

"Who are you talking to?" A dancer asked her. Although the others didn't say anything, they were looking around, they were so nervous that their limbs were stiff, they were having goosebumps.

It was not only them, the audience also started to talk among themselves restlessly. Some deliberately talked in loud voices, as if doing so would dispel the fear in their hearts.

Ning Yu Ren did not answer the question, she was still looking at Ning Qing. "Later on, I had the chance to substitute for Ning Ning, the village chief even agreed, but you didn't... When we found her in the well, your mask was on her body."

When Ning Ning was found, she was already exhausted, she was so weak that she could not even open her eyes. Ning Yu Ren had wanted to use her condition as an excuse to borrow a car to send her to a hospital in the county, but because of the mask, she could not go anywhere.

The mask that had been lost for decades, the Ning family member that had been missing for decades, the villagers feared losing either of them.

Even if they had to force her, they had to get her to stay.

"This is fate." The village chief had even prepared an excuse for his and his people's actions. "Some people's lives are destined. For example, Ning Ning's—the moment we held the ancestor worship ceremony, she returned; the mask that had been lost for so long, she found it the moment she came back; what is this if not fate? She was destined to come back and be the owner since she was born."

"What a joke." Ning Yu Ren held Ning Ning tightly, just like a mother holding her newborn, her seemingly powerless infant. "The daughter that I was pregnant with for ten months before giving birth to, I've borne bitter hardships to raise her. Just by saying 'It's her destiny', you want to take her away from me..."

"Let go!"

"No!"

The villagers rushed up and tore Ning Ning away from her. They locked her and Cui Hong Mei up in an attic together afterwards.

Her phone had been confiscated while they were on the way, her voice could not be heard from the outside, she could not hear anything from the outside either. Days felt like years, she sat idly until one day the door was finally opened again, the one who had stood at the doorway was the village chief, but he was not the reason she was let out early.