Chapter 147

147: The Position of the Ning Family

The mosquitos in the countryside were too powerful, one bite would cause a giant bump. Ning Ning woke up in the middle of the night due to her getting bitten by the mosquitos. She could not fall asleep again because of the loud snores from Cui Hong Mei, her eyes remained open till sunrise.

She got off the bed quietly, opened the door gently and went out. She looked at the Ning Village outside the door.

At a glance, it was a small and dainty old town.

The black tiles and white walls of Hui style buildings1, the closely connected houses, with their overhanging eaves. Although the place was small, it had everything. Walking along the narrow and slender streets would bring you past one palace graduate memorial arch and two chastity archways2 before it finally ended at the ancestral hall.

The palace graduate memorial arch and the chastity archways had been eroded by the wind and rain, only the ancestral hall in front of her was decorated with lanterns and festoons. It was in full swing as a group of people were bustling in front of the door, a wooden stage was built up from the ground with their hands, the old village chief was directing them. Suddenly, someone pointed in Ning Ning's direction. He turned back and smiled. "Ah, daughter of the Ning family, why have you come?"

"...I came out to buy breakfast." Ning Ning came up with a random excuse, then looked at the stage in front of her and asked, "What's this for?"

"We're setting up a stage for a performance." The old village chief said while grinning from ear to ear, his smile made Ning Ning uncomfortable.

"When will the stage be ready?" Ning Ning feigned interest, "Whom did you invite to perform?"

"How can we invite an outsider to perform in a performance meant for our ancestors?" The old village chief shook his head. "A Nuo dance performance, we will perform and sing it ourselves."

He looked up at Ning Ning with a weird smile all of a sudden. "You are one of us, you have to perform as well."

Ning Ning was taken aback.

"...Ning Ning!" Ning Yu Ren's voice suddenly rang out behind her. She looked back and saw Mama walking quickly towards her, her forehead was slightly perspiring, it seemed that she had run all the way here.

Ning Yu Ren pulled Ning Ning behind her, she was like a mother hen protecting her chick, she cautiously and carefully said to the old village chief, "My surname is Ning too, I will perform this time."

The old village chief shook his head. "A daughter that is married off, a water that is poured out..."

"I only gave birth to a daughter, I didn't marry anyone." Ning Yu Ren interrupted him rather stubbornly.

Ning Ning looked at the old village chief, then at Mama.

It was a scene she had never seen before.

Although she had also followed them to the country last time, she kept her bad habit she got from the city, lazing in bed even at eight or nine in the morning. After she got up, Mama would have already been done with making breakfast. While they had breakfast, Mama casually said, "I want to perform the Nuo dance in the ancestor worship ceremony in a month's time."

Ning Ning had wanted to stay together with Mama for a month, but she was a spoiled kid, she could not stand the mosquitos from the country, neither could she stand the boring life of a little village, so she made fuss about wanting to go home. Ning Yu did not seem to want her to stay long as well, she very quickly got someone to drive over and took her away from the village.