Chapter 7

Chapter 7 – The Spider’s Thread

To the members of the circus, this performance was an opportunity, an opportunity for them to escape from the abyss of suffering.

Another name: The abyss of suffering was also called ‘Boss Qu’.

This sinister, cunning, and vicious fellow without a shred of humanity in him, would only drape a piece of outer skin, known as ‘loving father,’ over himself  in front of his daughter – turning from a beast to a clothed beast*.

“It’s impossible to completely escape from the abyss of suffering.” A young man who had just returned from his performance sighed. “But within the scope of Miss’s vision, will be a piece of pure land.”

And then, the competition began, and Chen Junyan who had an advantage over the others due to his looks, became the first victim.

That night, Chen Junyan was suddenly attacked by someone who muffled him with a blanket  while he was deep asleep, then proceeded to shower him with waves of hits. These hits were aimed specifically at his face. The next day, he turned up to morning assembly with one half of his face swollen. Boss Qu slowly strolled along the front of the formation while tapping his whip against his palm with a steady beat. His footsteps stopped abruptly when he passed by Chen Junyan. He slightly lifted up Chen Junyan’s chin then asked indifferently, “You guys did this?”

Everyone immediately grew uneasy, is Boss Qu going to stand up for him?

Boss Qu scanned everyone’s faces, then let out a cold snort, “Your unswollen faces, can’t even compare to his swollen face.”

Nighttime, Chen Junyan was met with another round of attack. This time, everyone had learned from their previous failure and hit him evenly so that he became swollen on both sides, making sure his attractiveness was pulled down to less than average.

The next day, Boss Qu let out a satisfied laugh, then pointed at him with the whip. “You’ll do, come with me.”

We’ve been tricked!! Everyone howled in grief internally, So he’s intentionally choosing an ugly duckling* to bring to Miss in order for him to accentuate his own handsomeness and tall stature??

“What’s wrong with your face?” Inside the courtyard, Ning Ning asked curiously.

Chen Junyan glanced over at Boss Qu who stood beside her, and answered with a lowered head, “I fell down due to my carelessness last night.”

Ning Ning got up from the chair and walked to stand before him. Then, leisurely walking round him in a circle, she held out a hand to lift his chin up to make him turn his head to look at her as she stood at his side. “Your injury doesn’t look like it’s from a fall.”

Boss Qu gave a loud cough. Ning Ning nonchalantly withdrew her hand, then she heard Boss Qu speak coldly, “Since you’re injured, go back first to take a rest.”

…As if this is a pure land, it’s clearly the ocean’s abyss of suffering that has neither shore nor boat!

Chen Junyan was unwilling to leave when he had just come, for he had no idea when he would get another chance to come here. No, to be more accurate, with Miss’s show of intimacy towards him today, he supposed there wouldn’t be another chance for him to appear before her in his lifetime.