Chapter 122

122: A Solo Performance

The office quietened down. One of them had not expected herself to utter the name, the other had not expected that the other would utter that name.

Rage swelled up in his chest, but it was then forcibly suppressed. Wen Yu said blandly, "My brother had passed away long ago. How old were you then?"

Don't act like you know him very well.

Ning Ning, on the other hand, looked like she was out of it. She looked at her surroundings, she looked at the phone that was ringing non-stop, her expression was weird, she mumbled to herself, "Why am I still here?"

Wen Yu was bewildered.

"Why have I not returned to the beginning?" Ning Ning thought about it, her gaze fixed itself on Wen Yu's face. "Ah, I know. Are you pitying me? Are you thinking that I am sick?"

Wen Yu indeed thought that she was sick.

Exhaustion, restlessness, sometimes dazed, sometimes awake, she even had the tendency to talk to herself, losing her ability to express herself; they had only parted ways for one day, how did her mental state deteriorate this much?

Ning Ning, however, was excited. After drinking the same chrysanthemum tea three hundred and sixty-two times, repeating the same conversation three hundred and sixty-two times, even a little deviation was enough to get her excited.

She adjusted her sitting posture and leaned slightly forward, her eyes sparkling as she looked at Wen Yu. "Your brother passed away in the year 1990. At that time, I was twenty-two years old."

"But you are only twenty-five years old this year." Wen Yu said blandly.

"I acted in an ancient period drama with your brother." Ning Ning's eyes showed the glow of someone who was reminiscing the past. "Out of everyone I've met in my life, he was the...best actor."

"My brother had only acted in one movie that year..." Wen Yu wanted to remind her that she hadn't been involved in that movie.

"I know," Ning Ning smiled, "<<The Person Within the Painting>>."

Wen Yu suddenly stopped speaking, the woman in front of him felt very unfamiliar.

The way she smiled, the familiar way she was talking about Shi Zhong Tang, the shyness when she looked down and smiled, the way she pulled her hair behind her ear—none of them looked like Zhang Xin Ai, but another person.

"Who are you?" Wen Yu asked abruptly.

"I am..." Ning Ning smiled. "Princess Ling Shan."

Female lead character from <<The Person Within the Painting>>, Princess Ling Shan.

...Delusional disorder? Dissociative identity disorder? If it was the latter, why would she refer to herself as Princess Ling Shan, a female lead character from a movie? Or maybe she was pretending to be sick again, just like how she had been on the roof? Wen Yu decided to probe a little.

"How should I address you?" Wen Yu asked, "Your Highness?"

Ning Ning sniggered as if she was amused by what he said. "Ling Shan will do."

This was not the reaction Princess Ling Shan should have. Princess Ling Shan from <<The Person Within the Painting>> was lofty and proud. She might be able to endure having the commoners talk behind her back, but she would be unable to endure commoners addressing her by her maiden name, only the people closest to her—for example, her lover Shi Zhong Tang—could address her intimately: Ling Shan.