Chapter 125

125: Mask, Masked Person

What would happen?

Zhang Xin Ai remained silent for a moment before she abruptly took off for the entrance.

Her shoe fell off halfway through. Upon closer inspection however, it was not a shoe, it was her right leg that had fallen off. It had completely fallen off, there was no blood, only strips of black tape leaked out of the part it broke off. She dragged her broken leg as she stumbled, falling to the floor all of a sudden, because her other leg had broken off as well. As with the other leg, black tapes flowed out from the part it broke off from.

"Ah... Help me..." Zhang Xin Ai crawled with her two arms as long tapes dragged behind her. One by one, she crawled past the feet of the masked people before she finally reached the entrance of the theater. She cried out, "Shan Shui..."

Before she could finish, her mask fell off from her face.

A pair of black cloth shoes slowly walked over. Boss Qu bent down and picked up the fox mask.

Zhang Xin Ai was no longer on the floor, there was only a pile of black tapes spinning on the floor like a snake. They twisted and struggled a few times before it turned into ashes, black grains dissipating into the air.

Boss Qu held the mask and walked to the direction of the projector room. The masked people who had just been at odds with him actually put the chairs and stools down as they followed behind him.

They looked like a line of people at a funeral.

Ning Ning doubted and hesitated for a moment before following behind them.

The door to the projector room was open. She did not see any film reels nor videotapes inside. In that projector room of unknown age, there were only endless masks strewn messily on the floor, hung disorderly on the walls; male, female, old, young, crying, smiling, resenting, raging.

"Every masked person has a main character ticket that belongs to them," Boss Qu slowly walked into the projector room as he told Ning Ning with his back to her, "if it's used up, then the movie that belongs to them will stop screening prematurely and get sealed up, it will have to wait for the next available slot for it to air again. But, the number of new masked people who enter this place every year is so many, there are so many of them waiting for their story to get screened, when would there be another empty slot again?"

He hung the fox mask on the wall before he turned his head back and told Ning Ning, "You don't want to become one of them right?"

Ning Ning was standing in the middle of a pile of masks, she had just realised what expression the masked people had when they looked at the projector room.

It was an expression of someone looking at a graveyard.

"Indeed, they are still alive." Boss Qu gave the fox mask a knock, it gave off a crisp sound. He laughed coldly. "They could hear, they could see, they could think, they could feel the changes in time, but they could not speak. They could only wait silently...wait for the day they would become a masked person again."

Being stared at by the masks that enveloped the interior of the room, being stared at by those pairs of eyes that were alive, Ning Ning seemingly could hear their silent cries, "Ah, help me..."

She suddenly felt cold and nauseous. Ning Ning could not help but cover her mouth before she turned around and ran. Behind her, Boss Qu's cold expression turned gentle again, as if to say—go, fear this place, fear me, never return again.