Chapter 71

71: Keeping a Clear Mind

Cash on delivery.

Ning Yu Ren handed over a silver suitcase as Pei Xuan handed over the envelope.

Within the envelope were tickets, within the suitcase was money.

Pei Xuan opened the suitcase and inspected the money, then closed it up with a smile. He reached a hand out to her. "Thank you for your patronage."

Ning Yu Ren shook his hand unwillingly. She wanted to retract her hand the moment her fingers touched his, but he pulled her into his embrace.

"Suddenly paying such a huge amount of money, wouldn't you have tough days to come?" Pei Xuan hugged her, his enchanting voice sounded like a snake from the Garden of Eden, tempting Eve to eat the forbidden fruit. "Actually there is another method you can use, a much easier method to get tickets from me..."

"...There's no need." Ning Yu Ren pushed him away without waiting for him to finish. She took a few steps back as if she was avoiding a snake or a scorpion.

"Alright then." Pei Xuan shrugged. He picked up the two suitcases with both hands and nodded to her. "Contact me if you need me for anything."

He turned around once he finished speaking, his coat fluttering in the air behind him, a train's horn rang out in the distance.

Ning Yu Ren looked down at the envelope in her hands, rubbing it with her thumb, the words 'Yan Qing' were written on the envelope. She looked up all of a sudden and shouted at his back, "How exactly did you get these tickets?"

"That's a trade secret." Pei Xuan turned his face, the brim of his hat cast a shadow, the corner of his lips were curled up in it.

Ning Ning clenched on the envelope in her hand and looked at the camera with a complicated expression.

"Mama..." Ning Ning had stood up from her seat at this time.

The two mother and daughter were looking at each other through the screen for a moment. Ning Ning fell back to the seat when the shot cutaway, she held her head in her hands as she asked in agony, "The person who bought the tickets is Mama, how much do you think Mama knows?"

"She doesn't know anything." Shi Zhong Tang consoled her. "She would not have asked if she did."

Ning Ning breathed a sigh of relief, then sighed again in sorrow.

"...My mother is a very meticulous person. When she was healthy, she would personally take care of everything in the house, everything would be in order, she took very good care of me." Ning Ning reminisced about her life in the past, repeating parts of her memory over and over again. "I really liked that period of my life. She would prepare water for me to wash my face with, I would help her squeeze toothpaste on her toothbrush, then we would brush our teeth in front of the mirror together..."

She closed her eyes and temporarily placed the warmth of that beautiful memory back into her heart, then opened her eyes to face reality.

"...A meticulous person like her would definitely investigate the name on the letter." Her voice trembled a little. "What happened after she found out? Would she continue to buy tickets from Pei Xuan? If she continued buying them, Pei Xuan would continue.."

Continue his life of crime.

Pushing a person into the depths of life, forcing them to suffer, to despair, to then attract the movie tickets.

"...I have to go." Ning Ning stood up abruptly with an extremely anxious expression on her face. "I have to look for someone, I have to get to the bottom of this."