Chapter 50

50: Another Side

"You've been to that place?" Ning Ning let it slip out of her mouth, she immediately bit down on her lip as she said that.

A trace of light flashed in Shi Zhong Tang's eyes, seemingly saying 'sure enough'.

"I've been there." He smiled at her. "It was a movie titled <<Fraud>>. The movie was based on a true story which happened three years ago. I saw it on the news. Three swindlers wanted to escape from the country after swindling a huge sum of money, they were betrayed by someone while escaping and they died. After I entered the theater, suddenly there was only darkness in front of me, then—I became one of the swindlers..."

Ning Ning unwittingly sat down and listened to his story.

Shi Zhong Tang could do crosstalk for a living if he wasn't an actor. He recounted his experience vividly. Ning Ning could not help but laugh when he said that, for the sake of causing confusion, he cross-dressed as a pregnant woman and shouted, "My water broke!" Then he managed to cheat a driver, a passenger and even an old Chinese medicine practitioner onboard the car, the three of them sent him to the obstetrician.

...Wait a minute! Who am I, where am I, what the heck am I doing? Why am I suddenly listening to a crosstalk1?

"Cough!" Ning Ning hastily shook her head, she shook the image that almost made her laugh out of her head, then told him with a serious face, "You should not have entered that place."

Shi Zhong Tang, "Why not?"

Ning Ning, "You just vomited like a pregnant woman and you're asking me why not?"

"What about you?" Shi Zhong Tang reflected the question back at her, "Have you ever vomited like a pregnant woman?"

"..." Ning Ning stared at him, she did not know how to answer him. Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. Ning Ning walked over and opened it. A service staff from the hotel was standing at the door, he was holding a stack of magazines and newspapers. The stack was so high that it blocked his face, only his voice could be heard from behind it, "Is Mr Shi here? This is what he requested."

Ning Ning brought the stack of magazines and newspapers into the room and placed them beside a certain sick person.

<<Economic Weekly>>, <<Some City's Evening Newspaper>>... they were all old magazines and newspapers. He flipped through them, then handed a page of a newspaper to Ning Ning.

Ning Ning looked at him with doubt before taking it out of his hands.

On the black and white paper was a huge word—<<Fraud>>.

She was stunned. She skimmed the contents and realised that this was a newspaper from three years back. The three swindlers tried to escape with the money, one of them turned himself in and survived, the other two died.

"Everything was true. I changed the plot of the movie, which in turn changed reality." Shi Zhong Tang combed his hair with both his hands, his eyes sparkled with excitement. "This is simply..."

"Too scary." Ning Ning put the newspaper down.

"Too interesting." Shi Zhong Tang gave his thigh a pat.

Both of them were taken aback, then they looked at each other.

This was the first time the two of them got to know each other, or you could say, the first time they saw the other side of the other, the true selves under the beautiful wrappings.

Shi Zhong Tang started laughing. "So you're actually a coward."

"Thanks, courageous dumb dumb." Ning Ning returned the newspaper to him.