Chapter 104

104: Guess

"Yu Ren, what are you saying...? How is it possible for me to do such a thing to Ning Ning?" Xu Rong's forehead started to perspire, she tried very hard to force a smile at Ning Yu Ren. "You must be dazed from sleep, that was only a dream..."

"Was that only a dream?" Ning Yu Ren murmured. She opened her handbag and took out a transparent ziplock bag, within the bag were a few pills.

"Do you remember these?" Ning Yu Ren said, "I had someone bring the pills you fed her for a lab test, more than half of them were sleeping pills."

Xu Rong's forehead was perspiring even more. She wanted to deny it, but Ning Yu Ren said, "Fifth of August, Changnan Pharmacy, Li Qing—the time you bought the pills, the pharmacy, the person who sold you the pills, I have found all of that out."

Xu Rong's hands and feet felt cold. She was in a hurry that day, she did not look at the nametag on the chest of the staff member. She didn't remember the name of the staff member, but she remembered the time and place she bought the pills—the fifth of August, Changnan Pharmacy.

"That's...something I bought for myself." Xu Rong explained with difficulty, "I was having difficulties sleeping those few days and was feeling dizzy everyday, maybe that was why...I then, then accidentally gave Ning Ning the wrong pills."

"After giving her the wrong pills once, you could still give her the wrong pills twice, thrice more?" Ning Yu Ren said with a smile.

Xu Rong fell silent for a moment, her whole body was trembling all of a sudden, like she was suddenly stripped naked and thrown into the snow.

She knew everything? No. Xu Rong thought, "She's tricking me, I definitely cannot admit to it. If I were to admit to it, if I were to be brought away by the police, what would happen to Xiao Yu?"

"It wasn't me." She covered her mouth and cried under the immense pressure. "I have never harmed Ning Ning. I only gave her the wrong pills once, out of curiosity, she took them herself later. The clothes...clothes were from when we were on our way home after a snowball fight. She started sweating, so she took them off and had me hold them. I admit, I did not take good care of her, that's why she got lost, but Yu Ren...you cannot assume that I did everything just because you are sad, I'm not that bad of a person am I?"

Would Ning Yu Ren fall for the chicanery? She let out a cackle before reaching out to caress Xu Rong's cheek. Through the window, one would mistake them as a person who was blaming herself and getting consoled by the other party.

But what came out from Ning Yu Ren's mouth was not words of consolation.

"I will not let you die nor will I hand you over to the police." Ning Yu Ren smiled at her, a smile that was extremely eerie. "You have to quickly recover and accept the gift I have prepared for you."

The smile made Xu Rong shiver nonstop, she asked while shivering, "What gift? What are you planning? Don't leave, Yu Ren, don't leave! Explain yourself!"

But Ning Yu Ren ignored her. She put on her bowler hat and smiled elegantly at Xu Rong with a side of her face, then picked her handbag up and left the room.

Xu Rong's shouts brought Xiao Yu into the room.

"Mummy." Xiao Yu walked over and looked at her worryingly, "What's wrong?"

Xu Rong huffed and puffed. The white hospital ward seemed like a white snowy ground, she was like Ning Ning—abandoned at the snowy grounds, unable to do anything, unable to escape, her fate was in the hands of Ning Yu Ren.

"It's fine, I'm fine." Xu Rong had a terrible expression on her face, but she then smiled to avoid having her daughter worry about her, "There's still hope, there's still hope for you..."