Chapter 73

73: Tripartite

There were two other actresses in the room besides Ning Ning.

Ning Ning was a step too late, Yan Qing had already finished talking about the events of the first half of her life, she was now going to talk about the second half.

"...It was thanks to the few students of mine that I did not commit suicide." She touched her combed white hair. "But the days did not go by easily. Most of my hair turned white then, I would dye it black in secret with shoe polish, but the smell was really bad, it was so smelly that my parents would not get close to me."

She let out a laugh, the people around her laughed along with her.

"Then, with the help of the students and their parents," she said, "I went overseas. I studied music in France...Of course, I studied foreign language at first."

For a small town female teacher, going overseas was like transmigrating to another world. A street full of people were speaking in a language she didn't understand. But this kind of world was a sigh of relief for her, because they would not stare at her with weird looks.

Thus Yan Qing settled down in France. She studied French arduously, she studied music arduously. She worked very hard, because she knew that if she did not achieve anything there, she would have to return to the small town full of rumours and gossip, a small town where even her parents treated her with disdain.

"...I met my current husband, Mr. Wood, when I was studying." Yan Qing smiled like a teenage girl when she mentioned him. "He was not like a typical French man at all. He was not romantic in the slightest nor would he say anything sweet. The first thing he said when he saw me was, 'Could you stop using shoe polish on your hair?'"

After the awkward encounter, there were surprising developments. One day when Mr Wood finished helping her wash her hair. "Stop applying shoe polish on your hair, I think you look quite nice the way you are now." Not long after, Yan Qing actually stopped dyeing her hair. She combed her white hair neatly and wore fashionable little hats. In the beginning, she was worried about her everyday life, until her teacher gave her a thumbs-up and told her that the look was very fashionable and that it suited her very well.

Yan Qing maintained the style after receiving that encouragement. Throughout her concerts, throughout her charity work, throughout her interviews, her white hair and tiny hat would slowly become a trademark of hers.

"That was my life." Yan Qing said in conclusion, "I hope that one of you could bring my life onto the screen and to reenact it for me and the audience."

Yan Qing did not stay long because she had a speech in the afternoon, the others in the room left not long after Yan Qing did. The actresses started to discuss the role with their managers.

"Three parts." All the managers had the same conclusion, "Yan Qing's life contains three parts."

The three actresses listened quietly.

"The rumours and gossip in the little town, the new lover and life in a foreign country, the accomplishments in her career and charity." Li Bo Yu told her actress, "Ning Ning, which part would you like to act in?"

Ning Ning thought about it. "Can't I act all of them?"

"There is no need." Li Bo Yue said, "This is not the official shoot. Your objective now is to move Yan Qing, to make her feel like you are the best candidate, the candidate that is most suited to portray her."

Ning Ning looked down and thought about it deeply.

"How about it?" Li Bo Yue asked, "Which part are you the most confident in?"