Chapter 150

150: What is God?

There were two owner candidates in the house, but there was only one mask.

Who would be the one to wear the mask in the end?

"It will have to do, although it doesn't have the quality of the original." The village chief flipped the mask over a few times. After nitpicking on it for a long while, he told Ning Ning, "I will get him to make some changes, take this time to get some practice in."

As he said that, he looked behind Ning Ning. "You have to look somewhat like her."

Ning Ning was taken aback, she turned around and looked behind her.

A ferocious and terrifying mask.

...No, not a mask.

"...Mama?" Ning Ning shouted in astonishment.

Standing in front of her was Ning Yu Ren. She had used a scarlet lipstick to draw on her face. She drew the ferocious mouth of a beast of prey, she drew fangs, she drew two lines of bloody tears under her eyes, she looked just like the mask in the village chief's hands.

"I'm hungry." She didn't even look at Ning Ning. After she said those two words, she left everyone in the room and sat at the dining table, holding up her cheek with one hand as she dozed off as if there were no one else around.

Ning Ning felt it was ridiculous at first, then she came back to her senses.

Mama's performance had begun.

She had started to perform as the owner she had envisioned, as for the results...Ning Ning took a peek at the village chief.

The village chief, who originally only had eyes for her alone, now had his attention snatched by Ning Yu Ren. He was stunned for an instant before he told the carpenter beside him, "Go get my daughter-in-law."

His daughter-in-law arrived in no time. She directed a few peasant women behind her, they placed dishes in front of Ning Yu Ren.The covers were removed—roasted pork, fish head soup, eel segments, roasted duck and more—they billowed with white steam.

Upon smelling the aroma from the living room, Cui Hong Mei finally emerged from the bedroom. "Eh, meal is ready?"

She walked up to the table and was about to sit down. She abruptly looked back, asking with a weird expression, "Why are you all standing around?"

Ning Ning walked towards the table. Halfway through, she turned back and looked at the villagers.

Man and woman, old and young—the village chief included—they all watched them from afar. The dishes on the table were like offerings at a tombstone. Their expressions were that of people looking at the black and white photo of the deceased behind the offerings.

Ning Ning felt chills. She slowly turned back and finally knew why they had such an expression.

Unsmiling, aloof, not eating the food of common mortals, sitting expressionlessly in front of a pile of offerings—the Ning Yu Ren in this moment, didn't she look just like a photo of the deceased?

Even Cui Hong Mei who usually had nerves of steel could not take it anymore. She took a few bites before she put her chopsticks down, saying with displeasure, "Can you stop making such an expression? You're making the food taste bad."

Ning Yu Ren stared straight at her for a while, then she picked up her chopsticks. She touched every dish with the tip of her chopsticks, seemingly only touched the surface of the soup, then put them in her mouth for a taste. She put down her chopsticks.