Chapter 63

63: Violence

Ning Ning arrived at the classroom after school.

There were still people cleaning it up. She told them, "That's enough for today, the few of you can go home now."

Ning Ning and Wen Yu were the only people remaining in the classroom after that group of people left.

"Tell me." She pulled out a chair and sat down beside him, "I'm listening."

"Rumours." Wen Yu looked at her and bluntly said, "Rumours regarding Teacher Yan Qing started spreading from you."

It was the evening, the lights were not switched on in the classroom, the night scenery (outside) slowly transformed into shadows, sneaking in through the window. Occasionally, the rustles of the swaying trees could be heard, they sounded like whispers in the background.

"What did I say?" Ning Ning asked.

"You said Teacher Yan Qing's way of doing things was not very good." Wen Yu said, "Then not long after, there were a lot of photos of her kissing a man pasted in the school."

"That man wasn't her husband right?" Ning Ning muttered, she felt that she had touched the corners of the truth.

"It wasn't. So everyone thought that the rumour you spread earlier was true, they thought that Teacher Yan Qing did not do things properly...but she was an unwilling party!" Wen Yu suddenly opened his school bag, he took out a folded piece of drawing paper, opened it and placed it on the table in front of her.

Ning Ning picked up the piece of paper and took a look. Wen Yu's drawing skills had improved a little bit more, the drawing had skillfully imitated the photo to the point where it was almost indistinguishable.

The drawing was of the photo of a man and a woman kissing. It looked romantic at first glance, but upon closer inspection, one could feel uneasiness, but where did this uneasiness come from?

"They are not a couple at all. Teacher Yan Qing was most probably taken by surprise, that was why her eyes were that wide open while trying to push him away with both her hands." Wen Yu analysed the drawing bit by bit, finally he concluded, "It was not like what you said at all."

"Preconceived without context." Ning Ning sighed.

These kinds of tricks might not be common in the current era she was in, but it was everywhere in the internet era she belonged to.

The photo you uploaded on the internet might be edited, your comments might be taken out of context, then they might get paired with others' speculations anonymously, after which you would become the target of a witch hunt.

You would get hurt while the other person hid behind the internet as they laughed at you.

"If it was only a rumour, people would forget after listening." Ning Ning muttered, "If it was only a photo, people would quickly realise that the photo doesn't look right, you can only illicit a response by following the rumour with a photo, viciously choking the person to death...heh, this incident was obviously calculated."

Yun Lin was not innocent.

If Yan Qing was really dead, Yun Lin had to take some responsibility.

Ning Ning felt that it was strange, what was the motive for doing this? Was it jealousy? Was it hatred? Was it anything deeper?

"...Why?" Wen Yu's voice suddenly rang out beside her, it sounded somber and pained, "Why does everyone believe you but not me?"

"Because it's much easier to incite a crowd compared to protecting a person." Ning Ning said, "A lot of people don't know the truth, they would just join in for fun, how many people would that add up to? They do not care, they do not need to take any responsibility anyway. It is much more difficult to protect a person. Unless it's someone who really likes you, any other person would protect themselves, they would not risk themselves by coming out and speaking up for you..."