Chapter 118

118: Countdown

"...I was joking." Li Shan Zhu quickly shrugged and smiled. "Alright, I'll go get toiletries for you from the supermarket downstairs. Besides a toothbrush and a towel, what else do you want?"

Was he really joking? Ning Ning looked at him doubtfully. "Is there disposable underwear?"

"Under, underwear?" Li Shan Zhu's voice suddenly raised eight pitches. He covered his gradually blushing face, stammering, "Tha, that..."

"I was joking with you." Ning Ning smiled. "I will buy those myself."

The two of them went to the supermarket together. It might be because she wore a hat, sunglasses and a face mask, or that Zhang Xin Ai was actually not that famous, but no one had recognised her. Toothbrush, towel, underwear—they bought a lot using Li Shan Zhu's money.

When they were paying, Ning Ning had a glimpse of his wallet. A poor student, he did not have much money in it, it was emptied out after they bought the toiletries.

"Let me..." Just as Ning Ning reached into her purse, her vision darkened and she was standing in the police station again—watching as Li Shan Zhu approached her from a distance.

How could she have forgotten? Zhang Xin Ai was good at mooching off people—mooching off a meal, an opportunity, a popularity—as long as someone was willing to foot the bill, she would never spend a single cent.

That was why this time she was empty-handed. Not only did she not help pay a single cent, she didn't even help him with the bags, smiling as she watched Li Shan Zhu bring the bags upstairs.

Li Shan Zhu scurried around alone. He helped her put the new items in their places and made her bed. He got so warm that he started to sweat. When he came out of the bedroom, he looked at the ceiling fan, the blades of the fan were spinning leisurely, Ning Ning's wavy hair fluttering gently. She twisted open a lip balm in her hand, lightly applying it on her lips that were as plump as a peach, soft and moist.

She looked up at Li Shan Zhu and said, "Come here."

Li Shan Zhu stared at her lips absentmindedly, unable to speak for a moment. He opened up his stride and walked towards her. The closer he got, the less he dared to look at her, he was even more at a loss when she reached out with her lip balm.

"Big, Big Sister Little Ai..." He did not know what to do.

"Don't move." Ning Ning shushed him. "Don't speak."

Li Shan Zhu stayed rooted on the spot obediently, letting her slowly apply the lip balm on his lips as she pleased.

"Done." She retracted her hand with a smile after a moment. "The weather is too dry, your lips were chapped. Alright, I'll go take a shower."

"Oh, oh..." Li Shan Zhu answered inattentively. His eyes were following Ning Ning's figure uncontrollably, watching as she grabbed the pajamas and underwear that she had just bought before walking towards the bathroom. She suddenly turned around when she was halfway there and tossed something at him, "Catch."

Li Shan Zhu reached out and caught it reflexively.

He looked down, it was a tube of lip balm.

"A gift for you." Ning Ning said.

Li Shan Zhu held the lip balm with both his hands—as if he was holding an imperial edict from the emperor, a goddess' feather coat, the jar of pure water and willow leaf bestowed by Guanyin1. That almost pious look from being practically overwhelmed by an unexpected favour was truly cute and laughable, Ning Ning could not help but smile at him before turning around to walk into the bathroom.