Chapter 31

31: The Real Ghost

Tiny footprints were left on the snow.

"I didn't want to kill your mother." The Skinny Man breathed out a breath of white air. "Too bad she didn't return the money I loaned her. I even knelt down and begged her, but she laughed at me. I got dizzy with anger so I pushed her out of the building."

Upon finishing, he looked down at Wen Yu. "You saw all of that right?"

Wen Yu shook his head at him.

He did not see anything. When his mother fell from the building, his mind was blank, he did not notice if there was anyone else upstairs at all.

"We've already reached this stage. You don't have to lie to me anymore." The Skinny Man smiled neurotically. "If you had not grown suspicious, why would you give the packet of sweets to Elder Sis and not eat it yourself?"

Ever since Wen Yu saw how his mother died, he had not been able to speak, so he could not tell the Skinny Man. Although Eldest Aunt and her family treated him poorly, he was still grateful to them for adopting him. So when he picked up the finely packaged sweets, his first thought would be to share it. It was just that when the sweets ended up in the hands of Eldest Aunt, she was not willing to share them with him and only did so with her family.

In the end they were the only ones who were poisoned, not Wen Yu.

"I didn't want to kill Eldest Sis. The thought of killing their entire family did not cross my mind." The Skinny Man mumbled to himself by the side, "Did you know? From the day the news of their deaths reached me, I never had a good night's sleep again. If there was even a slight movement in the night, I would roll out of bed in fear that it was the police coming to arrest me..."

His days were tough, Wen Yu's days were even tougher.

People who knew about this incident started spreading it, his reputation as a monster got around thoroughly, no one dared to adopt him anymore. The Skinny Man was the only one who was willing to adopt him, albeit reluctantly.

But Wen Yu didn't want to drag the Skinny Man down.

At that point of time, Wen Yu really thought that he was a monster. Tragedies would happen wherever he went, ill luck would befall anyone he loved. Thus he did not accept the kindness of the Skinny Man. He brought everything he owned and stowed away on a train. He intended to leave, to go wherever the train would bring him.

"You escaped!" The Skinny Man suddenly viciously hit Wen Yu's head. "You actually escaped at that time! Do you have any idea how scared I was then? What could I do? I could only abandon my job and my girlfriend, I could only run away like a homeless dog, I was afraid of getting reported by you!"

Wen Yu held his head without saying a word.

He was a homeless dog, how could he not be. The scenery outside the train's window was getting increasingly unfamiliar. Where was this train heading to? Where would he be alighting? Whom would he look for after he got off the train? A newspaper, a name, a promise, then appeared in his mind.

When he got off the train, he wrote the name 'Orchid Theater' on his book and asked for directions along the way. He finally arrived at the entrance of the theater. What was his purpose in looking for her? He had not actually thought of it at that point of time. He was even a little afraid, afraid that she would chase him off at the sight of him...

She emerged from the theater with a gloomy expression. She looked like she was floating in the air, as if she was a ghost under the sun.

"...You came at a bad time." Ning Ning smiled at him. "I just attempted a murder, I'm about to be arrested soon."