Chapter 79

79: Get Back on Track

In the hospital, the doctors and nurses were busy with work.

Chen Ju was lying on the hospital bed, there was a doctor standing by the bed who pointed at her and asked, "Did we contact the family of this patient?"

"We did." A nurse answered.

"Did they say when they will pay up?" The doctor asked.

"It seems like something happened to them." The nurse answered, "Their house was burnt down, now the two kids did not have anywhere to stay, they are borrowing money to get by."

"Such a thing happened actually happened." The doctor shook their head as they sighed. "When it rains it pours, but they can't just leave her here and ignore her."

Just as their voice trailed off, a weak voice rang out from behind them, "Doctor, I'm here to bring my mother home."

The two of them turned around and saw a pair of siblings standing at the door of the ward.

Ning Ning looked a lot more frail, even Mu Gua had slimmed down by quite a bit, after his originally fat face that hid his features had slimmed down, he was actually slowly starting to have the elegance of a teenage boy.

Once they finished the hospital discharge procedures, Ning Ning bent down and told Mu Gua, "Here, give me a hand and get mom on my back."

After the house burnt down, the two of them completely lost their source of income. Although Ning Ning tried her best to borrow money from relatives and friends, the world had more people that would give you a hand when you were successful than people who would throw you a bone when you were down. The money she had received from bitterly begging was only enough to temporarily rent a dilapidated apartment for the two of them to stay in—at least they did not have to resort to living in an unstable building—then Ning Ning found a job and finally made enough money to pay off Chen Ju's medical fees.

Since their life had become like this, they certainly could not afford to buy a wheelchair for Chen Ju, they could only use their strength to piggyback her home.

"Ok." Mu Gua acknowledged and walked to the side of the bed.

Ning Ning was hunched over, waiting for a long while, she looked back and was shocked, "What are you doing?"

Mu Gua was carrying Chen Ju but he did not put her on Ning Ning's back. Instead, he immediately walked towards the door. Upon hearing Ning Ning's shout, he yelled back without looking at her, "Why do you care?"

Ever since the house caught fire and Ning Ning gave him a slap, he had prematurely entered the rebellious phase. Now, if Ning Ning wanted him to go east, he would go west, if she wanted him to go to heaven, he would go to hell. He recently threw a tantrum about wanting to drop out of school and to start working so that he could go his separate ways from Ning Ning.

You can't! That doesn't suit your character specification, little brother!

Ning Ning frantically chased after him. She said in a low and gentle voice, "Aren't you going to have an exam this afternoon? Don't tire yourself out, just let me piggyback mom home."

"Aren't you also going to work in the afternoon? Why should you care if I'm tired?" Mu Gua answered stiffly, "Moreover, I don't even want to study anymore, why should I care about the exam?"

Ning Ning felt dizzy upon hearing that.

Little Fatty, you can't do that!

Your character specification clearly stated that you are a lazy hamster—passionate in hoarding food and running around aimlessly to slim down—but that version of you has an undeniable quality—a top student. Although your character made people despise you, but your results in school made you "that other kid" among the neighbours. Later on, you graduated with flying colours and found an excellent job.