Chapter 84

84: Funeral

Time flew by, the main thing was that the rumours spread very quickly.

Under the influence of money—ah no, under the influence of the newspaper fanning the flames, even the old man who sold deep-fried dough cake knew that Old Master Lian found his long-lost granddaughter—that was due to him using newspaper to wrap his dough cakes.

As the focal point of the rumour, Ning Ning finally ended her two month training. She reported to the Lian family along with Pei Xuan.

"Besides Old Master Lian, no one else would welcome you." Pei Xuan told Ning Ning on the way to the Lian Estate, "Old Master Lian has an ex-wife, a current wife, a lover, and a lot of grandchildren. The things that happen in his family are enough material for seven to eight seasons of drama, with every season spanning up to eighty episodes—that will increase to one hundred episodes when you are added in the mix."

The car stopped at the entrance of the Lian Estate. Ning Ning took a deep breath before she got off the car and entered the battlefield.

Although what Pei Xuan had said sounded more like a mockery, it was not completely baseless.

The chatter in the living room immediately stopped the moment she walked in. Everyone looked at her uniformly, no matter if it was men, women, adults or children. None of them had the expression of someone who was looking at a long lost relative, they had the expression of someone who was looking at a long lost enemy instead.

"She dares to claim to be Cheng Zhi's daughter when she doesn't look like him at all?"

"She looks witchlike."

"Who let her in? Chase her out!"

A middle-aged voice rang out among the commotion.

"It was Old Master Lian who invited her."

The commotion died down. The crowd looked towards the direction of the voice and saw a middle-aged man walking down the stairs. He was dressed smartly in a suit, solemn and slightly balding, holding a document in his hand.

"Lawyer Huang!"

"Lawyer Huang, how is my father?"

"I want to see my grandfather!"

A group of people immediately rushed up to him.

"My condolences." Lawyer Huang told them apologetically, "Mr Lian had just passed away. He had written a will before he passed away. Let me read it out to all of you."

The group of people immediately forgot about their husband or father, their eyes were locked onto the document he was holding.

"Mr Lian has decided that the shares of his company, his properties, his jewelries, his antiques..." Everyone took a deep breath as Lawyer Huang read up to this part—although they knew that it was a small possibility, they still held onto the hope that they would be the sole inheritor of the will. "will all be donated to the Hope Project. Every heir present will receive one hundred thousand dollars from his savings, the remainder will be donated to the Hope Project."

"What did you say??" The crowd started to complain loudly.

Old Master Lian's lover who had given birth to two of his children snatched the will out of Lawyer Huang's hand. She read it twice with gritted teeth then she sat on the ground as she covered her face and cried, "I gave the old man a son and a daughter, I gave him all ten years of my youth, now he wants to send me away with one hundred thousand dollars, sob sob sob..."

The house descended into chaos, Pei Xuan sighed as he turned and said to Ning Ning, "My apologies, I was not able to let you meet your grandfather for the last time."