Chapter 89

89: Outsider

Old Master Lian stood by the window, he could see the entrance from his position.

A group of people walked out of the entrance. The weather was very cold, they entered the cars very quickly, but did not drive off, remaining stationary on the snowy ground. The roof of the cars had long been covered in snow, they looked like white pillboxes.1

"Look." Old Master Lian looked at them through a lit up window while sitting on a wheelchair, he laughed, "Don't they look like parents waiting for their children to come out of the school after they have collected their results for their college entrance examination?"

Then he turned his head around and smiled at the crowd behind him, "Alright, the outsiders have left, let us begin."

The family feast began.

The long dining table was seated with only a few people. The crowd looked at each other, but in the end, Ning Ning was the first to speak up, "What does everyone want to eat? I will go into the kitchen and make it."

"You don't have to trouble yourself." Old Master Lian looked towards the entrance. "Look, he's here."

An elderly chef walked in from the entrance, holding a bowl of seafood soup in his hands. He seemed to have a little limp, by the time he got to the table, the bowl of soup in his hands had only half of its contents left, the other half had been spilled on the floor.

As he walked past Lian Yuan Yuan, his hands suddenly trembled.

"Ah!" Lian Yuan Yuan shouted loudly and jumped out of her seat, but she was still unable to dodge it, the soup was spilt on her dress. She picked a prawn off her dress and shouted with a face of disgust, "Father, why do you keep him?! His hands tremble as if he has Parkinson's, just let him retire already!"

The cowardly old chef did not dare to speak.

"Don't say that, he's just old." Old Master Lian looked at Ning Ning. "Lian Lian, go help him out."

"Ok." Ning Ning got up frantically and walked over.

The two of them walked into the kitchen together once they had cleaned the table. The journey to the kitchen was very desolate, not only did Old Master Lian chase off the outsiders, he had even given all the maids and cooks in the house a temporary holiday. Ning Ning took this action as 'clearing the venue'.

After the venue was cleared, it was the actors' turn to get on and perform on stage.

In the kitchen, the old chef fiercely poured the soup into the sink, making the water in the sink splashed about. Ning Ning stopped in her tracks and looked at the chef's back.

He placed five of the same little bowls on the table with his back to Ning Ning, then scooped up a ladle full of seafood soup and poured it in a straight line from left to right.

Once the five little bowls were filled with seafood soup, he suddenly reached into his pocket and took out a little bottle. He used his thumb to pop the bottle open and poured the powder-like substance into one of the bowls.

He turned back abruptly after he was done and told Ning Ning, "You did not see anything."

Ning Ning saw everything, thus she asked, "What did you put in the bowl?"

The old chef did not answer her question, he instead said to her, "Take a guess on how my leg was crippled."

Ning Ning shook her head.

"It was from protecting a little girl. My leg was crushed under a car." The old chef said, "Now the little girl has grown up. She loathes me, saying that I have Parkinson's, questioning why her father still keeps me around, wanting him to chase me out."