Chapter 90

90: Forbearance

"Do you know why I made you stay?" Old Master Lian asked pleasingly.

Ning Ning's heart was as clear as a mirror, but she showed a doubtful face and shook her head.

"My eldest son had known that the dish had problems, yet he put it in front of you and watched as you ate it." Old Master Lian sighed again. "What about my third daughter? She could have stopped Old Chen, why did she wait till the dinner table? Wasn't it so that she could perform for me? But she couldn't even act, you saw it too, after crying for so long, not a single tear was shed..."

His expression suddenly became empty and desolate. He reached out to Ning Ning with both withered hands and said, "Come, come to grandpa's side."

Ning Ning walked towards him. Old Master Lian hugged Ning Ning as if she was a barbie doll, his aged fingers caressed her hair as he murmured, "Good thing I still have you, there was at least one who has a conscience... Lian Lian, you are the only one left for Grandpa."

"Lies." Ning Ning said in her heart.

If there was one person in this family who had been poisoned, it would be Old Master Lian himself.

He had been afflicted with a poison named 'distrust'.

Starting from now up until twenty years later, he would indulge in tests of human nature on his family members. The shorter ones would last a few months, the longer ones would last a year. He would collude with outsiders to come up with methods to test the morals of his own family members, then he would issue a new will.

The new will would overwrite the old will, the new inheritor would overwrite the old inheritor, he would never be bored of it. Like a despot actor who was unwilling to leave the stage once he had gotten on, forcing everyone to accommodate him and act out this show titled <<Poison>>...forever and ever.

Maybe only death would stop him.

"Alright, let's eat, it's getting cold." Old Master Lian dried the tears in the corners of his eyes and loosened his hug. "Are the dishes on the dining table enough for you? You can get Uncle Chen to make more if it's not enough."

"It's enough." Ning Ning said.

The meal today was made for six people, it had a total of ten dishes.There were main dishes and side dishes, they included sweet, salty, sour and spicy dishes. Old Master Lian didn't eat much, he put his chopsticks down after he took two bites. He urged Ning Ning to eat, but she was troubled, how could she have any appetite?

It was a good thing that Old Master Lian had a habit of taking afternoon naps, he started to feel sleepy at around 12 noon. He yawned and told Ning Ning, "You can go home for now. Pack your stuff up, I will get a driver to help you move in here. You should stop living outside, a family should live together."

"Tomorrow?" Ning Ning hesitated instead. "Isn't that too much of a rush?"

"How is that a rush, don't you have one day to pack up?" Old Master Lian laughed, but his words had a sense of tyranny, he would love to have everything arranged for her regardless of her wishes.

Ning Ning could only agree for now. She thought that she should have a discussion with Pei Xuan on how to deal with this later.

Ning Ning wheeled Old Master Lian out, leaving the old chef behind to clean up the leftovers.

They immediately saw a person waiting outside once they were out.

"Why are you still here?" Old Master Lian's belly was filled with rage the moment he laid his eyes on her, as he asked her with a discourteous expression.