Chapter 61

61: Looking at You

If you didn't think too deeply about it, everything seemed normal.

But once you did, everything was not right.

During the weekend, in a small restaurant.

"What would you like to eat?" Pei Xuan flipped through the menu in his hands.

"Anything will do." Ning Ning looked down shyly. She was like an obedient student in front of him, she had her legs put together, placing her hands on them.

Pei Xuan glanced at her with a smile, then he told the waiter beside him, "Then we will have spicy chicken cubes1, boiled fish, poached chilli and a spicy and sour vermicelli...is that enough?"

Ning Ning nodded with a smile, but her heart sank.

Yun Lin was a person who could not live without spicy food.

Ning Ning did not know this in the beginning, she only found out after she went out for a meal with a colleague. Her colleague exclaimed and asked her, "Did you have a change in taste? Are you not going to add chilli to your rice?"

She was the kind of person who even needed to add chilli oil on her rice.

...How did Pei Xuan know about this? Did he know her? Or did he investigate her beforehand?

First was the spicy chicken cubes. Ning Ning had a piece, but her eyes were locked on Pei Xuan. She discovered that he could not handle spicy food. It didn't take long for him to be gulping down water due to the spiciness, thus she took the opportunity to ask, "Do you not like spicy food?"

"They are alright." Pei Xuan's mouth was slightly red, he took another swig of his glass of water.

"I, on the other hand, like spicy food quite a bit." In actual fact, Ning Ning hated spicy food, but she added a spoonful of spicy chicken cubes along with the chilli oil onto her rice without a change in expression, as if she was the real Yun Lin. She mixed the rice and oil together, took a bite then asked as if she was joking, "This meal really suits my taste, how do you know what I like to eat?"

"Yan Qing had mentioned you to me." Pei Xuan said with a smile, "She said that you were her best friend."

This was a passable excuse.

But if you think more deeply on this, it would make you feel uncomfortable...

Exactly what kind of person would go after his wife's best friend after the former had passed away?

"...Did you love Yan Qing?" Ning Ning asked suddenly.

Pe Xuan fell silent for a long time. He only smiled when all the dishes were served, the smile had a trace of sorrow and relief.

"I loved her." He said.

"...Oh." Ning Ning slowly lowered her head, looking a little down.

"...After all, I am but a regular man, there will be times where I get smittened by a beauty." A wide palm slowly reached over and covered the back of Ning Ning's hand. She looked up and saw Pei Xuan smiling at her, his smile was gentle and fragile. "But now I've realised, I need someone who is gentle and reliable inside rather than one who is unreliable outside... I need you."

Pei Xuan sent Ning Ning back to the school after the meal.

"Your face is bright red." Pei Xuan said while laughing.

Ning Ning looked down with embarrassment, she pulled her hair behind her ear to reveal her bright red cheek.

Although her face was red from eating the chilli, it suited her expression and gesture in this moment, it was enough for people to mistake her as a young girl passionately in love.