Promise

(A/N: Just a really short chapter. I'm watching HTTYD and got an idea before Hiccup would enter the killing ring.)

What if Gobber hadn't interrupted Hiccup when he was about to say something for Astrid?

•••

"Astrid..." Hiccup started and looked at her. "If something goes wrong...make sure that they don't find Toothless."

Astrid looked at him. "I will..." She said and looked him in the eyes. "Just...promise me it won't go wrong..."

Hiccup looked her in the eyes. "I'll try to..." He whispered before looking away. He then felt a hand resting on his shoulder. "Promise?" She asked. Hiccup gazed up, into her eyes for a split second. "I promise..."

She smiled at him. "Good luck and...be careful..." She said and kissed his cheek before pulling away. She stepped back.

Right then, Gobber came, "Go on, show em'," He said and gestured for him to go inside.

Hiccup signed, tightening his grip around his helmet. Gobber then went out of the ring and closed the gate after him. Astrid walked forward and looked at him. "Be safe..." She whispered.

• A few minutes later •

Astrid held her arms tightly around Hiccup's body. He fought to get out of her grip. Vikings where holding down Toothless after he saved him from the Monstrous Nightmare.

Astrid then whispered, "remember how you promised to me that nothing will go wrong?"

Hiccup's movements eased for a few moments before he settled down. He looked at her. "I've messed up, everything..." He said.

"No...you where trying to show them that we don't have to kill dragons...but, it just failed...alright?" Astrid asked, looking at him. "Alright..." Hiccup said, looking down.

And pulled back her hands from him and right after that, Stoick grabbed Hiccup's arm and pulled him out of the ring.