Lullaby

Little Destin just couldn't stop crying as Astrid walked though the village, on her way home to put him asleep. The poor little baby hadn't gotten to sleep a wink today. First, he and his mother went to see the chief in the Great Hall before taking a round over to the Arena and visiting uncle Fishlegs and Meatlug.

The sun stood high in the sky. It was probably an hour passed noon. The blonde, young woman smiled and greeted everybody as she walked up the hill to her and Hiccup's house.

Valka, - Hiccup's mother - greeted her just before she would walk inside the house. "Good afternoon, Astrid. How's the little one doing?" She asked atop of Cloudjumper. "He's doing fine. He's just very tired. He haven't slept all day so in gonna put him to bed now and I guess that's the end of my day..."

The aged woman and the dragon landed softly. "If you want, I could take care of him. Go have some fun. Fly a little. I know you haven't flown on Stormfly for weeks," Valka said with a smile and stroke the baby's forehead with her thumb.

"Really? Thank you so much, Valka."

"It's the least I could do. I mean, all this responsibility for a young woman like you."

"Thank you," Astrid said again before looking down at the little baby quietly whining in her arms. "I better put him to bed. I'll see you later, Valka."

They separated and Astrid walked into the house, prying the baby from her chest and slowly beginning to sing, "The sky is dark and the hills are white as the Storm King speeds from the north tonight. And this is the song, the Storm Kind sings, as over the world his cloak he flings." The blonde continued singing softly, "Sleep, sleep, little one, sleep. He rustles his wings and gruffly sings, sleep, little one, sleep."

She laid down the still crying baby in the cradle and started to move it. Wagging the baby, she continued the lullaby, "On yonder mountain-side a vine, slings at the foot of a mother pine. The three bends over the trembling thing and only the vine can hear her sing. Sleep, sleep, little one, sleep. What shall you fear when I am here? Sleep, little one, sleep."

Astrid smiled, yawning when she saw Destin slowly fall asleep. The sang the last part too. "The King may sing in his bitter flight, the pine may croon to the vine tonight, but the snowflake at my breast, like the song I sing the best. Sleep, sleep, little one, sleep, weary thou art anext my heart, sleep, little one, sleep."

The blonde, young mother leaned back in the chief's chair and closed her eyes, the world around her becoming blurry before everything went black.

•••

Not long after that, - about an hour later - Hiccup walked into the house, smiling. When he noticed his wife sleeping on the chair, her hand on the edge of the cradle, his smile faded and he signed.

She was "overworking" herself with the whole, "stay up all night to feed the baby, make sure it's not hungry when put to bed, stay with it incase anything would happen and then go and get rest" thing.

It was all a mess. Sure, he loved his wife and his child, but sometimes, the two things combined would get a little too much.

Hiccup pulled off his fur-cloak and quietly went over to the chair. He took Astrid's hand, softly prying it off the cradle before sliding his ads under her and lifting her up.

He walked towards the staircase and slowly walked upstairs, not to awake her.

After putting her in the bed, he started to take off any things that would probably make her uncomfortable such as boots, arm-wrappings, fur-hood, skirt and shoulder-pads.

Hiccup smiled and grabbed a blanket and pulled it over her. After doing that, he leaned down and pressed his lips against hers for a second. He then pulled away, looked at her and turned around, walking downstairs to where the baby was.