Runes

Astrid's eyes fluttered open and she looked around, realizing that it was morning. She jolted up to a sitting position and placed her hand on her head.

How did I get here? She asked herself, looking around. The last thing she had remembered before falling asleep was that she was in Stormfly's stable.

She looked to her left, finding that her husband of three months was gone.

Instead, a piece of paper was laying on the pillow.

She grabbed the paper and the pillow. She hugged it against her body as she looked at the paper.

It was hard to read what he had wrote, since he still wrote as if he would be six years old.

Astrid tried, however.

I'll be home at sunset. I've got a little work in the forge before I have to patrol the island. I love you, M'lady. Say good morning to the baby from me...

She smiled, signing and slowly placed back the pillow to its ordinary place.

Astrid got out of the bed, greeted by the slight chilly air from coming out of the bed.

She realized that she was in one of Hiccup's shirts.

Astrid placed away the letter onto Hiccup's desk and looked at the mirror made by Gronkle Iron.

It was shiny and reflected her as if normal water would. She turned to her side an looked at the mirror, placing her hand on her slightly bulging out stomach.

She signed and stroke the her stomach over the shirt.

"You know, your dad says good morning..." She said softly. "He really loves you...almost as much as I do..." She whispered before walking downstairs.

"Good morning, Valka," She said when she saw the older woman sitting by the table.

Valka turned her head towards her sons wife and smiled. "Good morning, Astrid. How's the little one doing?" She asked and patted the table beside her.

Astrid smiled and sat down next to her, looking down at the Book of Dragons.

The page about the Bewilderbeast was up and she just had to read a sentence or two before signing. "He's fine...I think."

Astrid then looked up at her mother-in-law. "Hiccup, however, is not. He's afraid that the baby will be born as early as he was..." Astrid said and trailed off. Valka continued. "And he's afraid that it won't make it..." She said.

"Exactly. I don't know what to do with him..." Astrid signed.

"Just wait and see, everything will be alright..." Valka said and placed a hand on the younger woman's shoulder.

Astrid smiled softly before placing her hands on the table and almost digging her nails into the wood.

Valka looked at her hands before looking up at her. "Something wrong, dear?" She asked, concern written over her face.

"Nothing is wrong..." She said and stood up, one of her hands drifting up to her hair.

"I'm gonna take a bath..." Astrid said softly and headed towards the washroom.

•••

Hiccup opened the door to the house he grew up in and signed softly, letting in Toothless after him.

The dragon trotted over to his riders mother as soon as the tail and saddle was off.

Hiccup looked at his mother. "Where's Astrid?" He asked. Valka looked at him. "She's upstairs. Just be careful, she's a little moody I think..." She said before stroking the Night Fury's head.

Hiccup smiled and thanked her before heading upstairs.

Astrid's back was turned away from the door and her hair was handing over her shoulder, undone.

Hiccup looked at her with affectionate eyes...even though she couldn't see it.

He slowly walked over to her, fully knowing that she could her him.

He kneeled onto the bed and crawled over to her. He sat down with his legs apart.

Hiccup leaned forward, placing his nose against her neck. Astrid jumped before signing.

"Mmm...did you bathe today?" He asked softly, brushing his fingers though her damp hair.

"Mhm..." Astrid hummed. Hiccup smiled and trailed small kisses over her neck.

He moved his arm around her and placed his large hand on her stomach.

"M'lady..." He whispered. Astrid breathed in deeply before wiping her cheeks.

Hiccup pulled away. "Are you...crying?" He asked and turned her towards him. Astrid sobbed.

"I was thinking while taking a bath this morning..." She said and laid we head on his collar, snuggling up to him. Hiccup wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer.

"I'm listening..." He whispered and kissed her hair. "What if the baby does get born early, just like you?" She asked.

"Then it happens-"

"No!" Astrid said before calming down. "I just...I don't want to loose a thing I've been fighting for..." She said and closed her eyes, letting the tears fall.

"What do you mean?" Hiccup asked. "My...my younger brother died when I was twelve. I didn't know what to do. I still miss him."

Younger brother? Astrid had a sibling? I didn't know that... Hiccup though and stroke her hair.

"I'm sorry. But...I'll promise you that everything will be alright..." He said and lifted her head.

Astrid looked at him with red eyes, her eyelashes clumped together.

Hiccup leaned down to press his lips against hers as he stroke her stomach.

Astrid wrapped her arms around her husbands neck before pulling back slightly.

"You know, I have to learn you how to write properly. It's barely readable..." She joked before kissing him again.

Hiccup rolled his eyes under his drooping eyelids.

"Very funny, bab..." He trailed off as Astrid pushed her tongue into his mouth.

She hooked her hand into his hair at the back of his head before pulling him harder against her.

"I love you," They said in unison, making them smile and kiss again.