Not So Viking

Great, storms. Just what Berk needed. Just what Hiccup and Astrid needed. The two had been flying earlier in the day when they noticed storm clouds rolling in. They were going to fly home but, it came quicker then they expected and they had to find shelter. A cave on the part of Berk no one lived.

Like, no one.

Sure, they would've just flied home but, considering Toothless' tail and Hiccup's leg and with the lightning...It's been a year since the dragons had been living with the Vikings instead of fighting against them and life was perfect. For them at least.

Vikings with stubbornness issues weren't really the ones you could say something to and they would take it. They were...stubborn.

Always been, always would be.

Astrid folded her arms and stared out at the weather a few feel away from the opening of the came.

Heavy rain, thunder and lightning.

"Hey, it'll be okay," She heard his voice reassure her from behind. Astrid turned her head to look back and saw him piling up the dry wood they could find. "I know it'll be fine, Hiccup. But, what if they're searching after us?"

"I doubt anyone would go out in this weather. My dad knows that if there comes a storm like this, I'll be in a cave or somewhere where I can be safe-"

Astrid turned around fully and walked over to him, placing a hand in his shoulder. "Hiccup, you're not safe anywhere. Where ever you go, people always want something from you. Toothless...you're knowledge, your ideas, you're never safe," She said and looked him in the eyes before letting her hand slowly slid down his arm, forearm and then she grabbed his and and brought it up to chest height.

She looked at his hand.

Scars.

Scars from the forge and from months of working with dragons. Small scars that covered the back of his hand and his palm.

Hiccup studied her carefully. Her hands and her facial expressions. "Oh, Hiccup," She said suddenly and looked up, her eyes meeting his. She trailed her hands up his arms and wrapped them around his neck.

She pulled him close to her and buried her nose into his neck. Hiccup's eyes were wide but he wrapped his arms around her back either way.

They stayed there for quite a while, the storm on their right side, sleeping dragons on their left side.

The fire was burning brightly and it made the cave nice and toasty. Hiccup moved his head slightly and suddenly, Astrid pulled away.

"I...I'm sorry," She said and looked down, backing away from him. She stopped when her back hit the wall and he noticed a tear falling down her cheek.

"Astrid..."

"No! I'm so sorry..."

"Astrid, I love you," He said and smiled, slowly walking up to her. Her head snapped up. Her eyes were bloodshot, her eyelashes were clumped together and her cheeks were puffy.

She looked at Stormfly and sprinted over to her, waking her up and climbing onto her back.

"I'm sorry, Hiccup. I just...I can't. I'm sorry. I'll see you someday."

She flew out of the cave and that's the last he saw of her.