SongFics: What Breaks My Heart

It's not the way you didn't see me

Just another sentinel walking through the halls. Samos, that's what house you belonged in. But nobody cared. Just another sentinel walking through the hall. You saw him in the halls sometimes, you couldn't do a thing about it. Just another sentinel walking through the halls. 

You have a life. You have live it.

He was a prince, the best prince. Not strong and masculine like Cal, but small and dark. Maven. 

You loved the way you saw him in the halls. It was better than nothing. Your heartbeat with each of his footsteps, your eyelashes flutter in nervousness. But he paid no attention, you were normal, basic. Just another sentinel walking through the halls.

I wonder, maybe if I walk these streets again. Maybe I could find it

Every corner you passed alone you saw him, even if he wasn't there.

He was taller than you, you could see his shadow growing on the walls.

His smell lingered in the halls.

That's what you lived off of.

Obsession.

'Til the sun, in the morning. I'll be fine.

They sent some sentinels to King Tiberias, the princes by his side.

The early sun peaked through the windows, making their shadows lovely against the walls.

Beautiful, they looked beautiful.

You looked at Maven as you trailed behind him, staring at his back as you try to memorize every crease. 

He cleared his throat, stopping his walking.

You had to stop behind him, not wanting to talk. 

Not wanting to stand out.

"Will you continue with us?" King Tiberias asked his son, Maven shook his head.

"I need to take a pause." Maven replied. As Maven's family descended down the hall Maven turned around. "Follow me," he walked into a nearby room. He held the door open for you. You couldn't believe your eyes. It was a library, filled with amazing books. You loved libraries. The knowledge was power to you.

It's strange to be in the same room, to breathe the same air that you are

"Why take an interest in me?" Maven asked as he closed the door once you walked in. You were a blank face, somehow talking to Maven alone.

"Well, sir--"

"Drop the sir, I'd rather you call me by my name." Maven walked over to you, studying your look. Your face was flushed silver as you tried to keep your voice steady. You're a silver, of course, you succeeded. 

"Well, Maven." Phrase your words carefully. "I think you're an amazing and handsome person, somebody as low and unimportant as I can only dream of being in the same room as you!" Your hands fondled each other behind your back, your red-orange uniform complimented his red black one as he puts his hands on your hips. It wasn't a grip, it was with light fingers. Gentle.

But I still see just how perfect we can be

"You're not like the other sentinels. You are unprofessional, you stare. I love how you stare. All the other silvers and red stare at my brother, but you only have eyes for me." It sounded sweet, but the last part sounded more like a demand. You didn't care, you just stared into his blue eyes as he smiled at you.

You were kind to say hello

"Why are you talking to me? Shouldn't a royal like you just ignore people like me..." You trailed off, taken over by how close you two were. He's being so nice, maybe too nice. You enjoyed it.

"I'm a shadow behind my brother, I can say that without shame. It's just how we were meant to be. You treat me not like a shadow, but like a light, a person taking the main stage." He explained, not breaking eye contact with you at all.

"It's because you are my light, you're the light of my existence." You admit with a smile. "Thank you," and then he hugged you. His body warmth was amazing against your coldness. The sweet morning was amazing and you planted it in your memory.

To finally know you'll never love me. To be honest...

He pulled away quicker than he should. He cleared his throat, taking steps back. 

"I'm warning you, and trust me when I say this..." he headed towards the door, dragging you with him. He whispered under his breath, "don't look at me anymore, it's dangerous for you and me. And whatever I do in the future... you'll always be the best sentinel I've ever talked to. Remember that, please." He opened the door and almost threw you out, walking roughly down the hall opposite then what he already was walking. You tried not to fall down, you almost collapse. But you stayed firm and walked the opposite way while being stuck in your own head.

That's what breaks my heart