Songfic: What's the Use of Feeling

Why would you want to be here

Your hands move with the trees. The Queenstrial is easy for you, the area is full of plant life. You don't open your eyes, you can't. All you can do is move your body until it's over. 

What do you ever see here?

Why would you want to be queen? Is it that worth it? To what, marry a man like Cal? No thanks. 

Doesn't that make you feel worse than you do?

You are only here because of the thought of Maven picking you. All you have to do is act seductive, right? You have to make yourself more desirable than everybody else. Then, you'll get the happy ending.

Why would you want to employ her?

Your family says this is the only chance you have to become somebody worth something. You have to do this, you have to succeed. So, you can't mess this up. You can't open your eyes, you can't misplace your feet. You have to be the lady everybody views you as. When your act is over, you look at the room filled with silvers. They look as always. You are nothing special. Even the red servants aren't looking your way. But they do that to everyone. Everything is fine, right?

Where's their diamond

When they need her, Blue?

You watch all of the other girls. Pathetic. They don't know the real way to impress people. All they use is their powers. They have to put their mind and body into it. They have to dance. Not just stand and bend. You click your tongue, scanning the crowd. You find Maven. All he does is place a glass to his lips and drink. Typical. It's still beautiful. Before you can get caught staring, you look away.

You've got to be a leader, Blue!

You remind yourself of your key goal. You look at Maven again, who's looking at you. You wave, it's a light wave. A friendly wave. Not a seductive wave, not something you'd normally do. Maven is hesitant to wave back. But then, a shock rings through the area. It's something you've never seen. The electrocution of a red servant. And the things that lead after that...

Yes, of course, we still love her

It's not a surprise that Evangeline one. That makes you happy. It wasn't you. You look at Maven, who looks at you. Your family still believes in you, you can feel. You feel a tingle in your chest as you start fidgeting in your spot. Maven is going to pick you, you're sure of it. Everyone will love you. You won't be a disapointment. You'll be somebody. You'll be a lovely princess.

But now there's nothing we can

Do, so tell me

"What's the use of feeling," you whisper under your breath. Your words trail off as you hear Mareena's name being called up. She gets to go with Maven, not you. That's not fair. You won that fair and square, she just cheated! You deserve to be with the prince, not a red like her.

How can you stand to be here with it all?

You turn away from the crowd, not wanting to look at the two. They look happy together. Maven would look happier with you by his side. Seeing Evangeline, the girl you grew up with, being happy with Cal by her side makes you sad. Wouldn't it be great to be next to her with Maven? Wouldn't it be amazing? Where did you future go? The moment you planned for all of your life destroyed over one red. You miss Evangeline already. You know you'll never see her again. That's all that matters right now. You're trying to distract yourself.

Drowning in all of this regret?

Wouldn't you rather forget her?

You clench your forearms, trying to warm yourself in the suddenly cold environment. At this time, most of the girl's who failed the test stand by your side. They know your pain in their own minds. All of them have some form of regret, some form of failure. You never really think of that, do you?

Don't you know I miss her too?

Everybody you love is going to hate you know. You'll never get to see Evangeline. You'll never get to be with Maven. Your family will never look at you the same. You'll forever know a red is the new princess of Norta. Disgusting.

What's the use of feeling--