One Shot: Coffee Shop

(Shoutout to Ikebanaka and Origami-teacup on Tumblr who gave me 100% of these ideas, literally, check out their posts

Also shoutout to the Gas Station Tales for the idea of the location and theme of the Starbucks itself)

"How did that even happen?" Mare whispers to herself. You, Evangeline, and her stare at the fire burning in one of the machines. None of you move. You half expected Mare to do something to put it out. In this Starbucks at the end of town, Mare has been working for a solid three days. The managers were so impressed that she managed to stay in the building for 24 hours without going insane or leaving that they gave her a raise. She has been pretty responsible every since.

You would call the police because being in a small building without a fire extinguisher is possibly illegal, but you don't want to get fired from the job you've had since your Sophomore year. The call wouldn't matter anyway as the only working phones in this part of the town are the landlines, which you have to pay 50 cents to the managers to even use. Their rules, not yours.

"Shouldn't you do something?" Kilorn, the only regular customer who never seems to leave or exist, asks with a concerned tone. In sync, you and Evangeline both turn around and continue to do whatever you can to avoid the fire.

"We don't paid enough to care." You inform him. Kilorn takes a step back before returning to his seat in the back.

~

You watch Evangeline over her shoulder while you have nothing better to do. It's funny watching her work. You two have absolutely no care in your jobs, and nobody was there to complain. Over than Kilorn, and a special new customer today.

Call

Evangeline wrote Call on the cup.

"Have you considered spelling it right?" You ask, leaning on the counter and crossing your arms. You watch as he begins making the obnoxiously specific drink.

"Have you considered that no one as dumb as him deserves to have his name spelled right?" Evangeline says, looking back at you with a smile. You smile back before shaking your head.

"You're not wrong," you whisper under your breathe. Mare grabs the cup and reads it before loudly calling out in the almost empty coffee shop. "One iced caramel macchiato for the stupid-- sorry, Call, my mistake." 

You and Evangeline high-five before returning to "work." 

~

A boy came in, one you haven't seen before. You almost physically moved Evangeline to answer his need for a beverage before her. He was so adorable compared to the other hipster freaks who usually randomly show up. With your hand over your heart, you listen to his order. I mean, you barely listened. He isn't that special. But you put a little more effort into the foam art than usual. Usually, you'd draw a vulgar man body part. Today though, you're going to draw a heart. Which ended up still looking like a penis. Mare snorted when she saw it before handing it over to the boy, Maven

The entire time, Evangeline sat back and watched how you worked. She was cackling the entire time. As a joke, Evangeline came up with an idea just to mess with you. She obviously knows you have a crush on him, and she can practically hear your heartbeat from where she stood.

The next time he walked in Evangeline noticed him first and was quick to the register. Now, instead of a shitty heart in his foam, Evangeline wrote a cute pickup line on his napkin. You didn't even realize until Mare was talking about it hours later. Your face was so red. You couldn't believe she would do that. 

The third time, which is the charm, you physically hit Evangeline in the face once you watched Maven walk in. She fought with nails. You ended up winning, and with blood running down your collarbone and cold sweat on your face you greeted Maven. He smiled at you, extremely nice to him. You quickly made his drink as you quickly and surely avoided making another heart. What you did, instead, was write your phone number on the cup with a sharpie. Shoving Mare aside, you were the one who gave it to him. Your heartbeat was on fire as you watched him read your number. He looked up, and you winked. He smiled and winked back. 

You died. 

Which, if you actually died in that Starbucks, your body would stay and be locked in the freezer. Like Jon. We don't talk about Jon.

But you clapped your hands in Evangeline's face, laughing and cheering. She took it in, loving how excited you were. That's all she wanted. She really enjoyed being the one who brought you two together.