(Sequal) Songfic: Alligator Blood

(Sequal to Poacher's Pride yikes

If you couldn't tell the symbolizm between the lyrics and the words from the first part of this 'series' then congrats you're not an overanalyzer like me)

Drinking a cup of alligator blood

Maven takes your face into his hands, smiling to himself as he enjoys the presence of you close to him. This is the only heaven he loves. Even though it's difficult for you, he is fine as long as you remain by his side. You were built to be a servant, not a princess. It's hard for you to get used to this life. You can't leave the bed without fixing the sheets or folding Maven's clothes. You have nothing to do with anything you are comfortable with anymore. But if you make Maven happy, it's worth it. 

We'd make necklaces out of

I'd wear them 'round my neck

And the feeling of all of the metal jewelry they make you put on is weighing. You feel like you have meant to replica Evangeline, who strongly dislikes you, for the record. She hates the idea of you and what it means for her. She can't wait until you turn into your metal form again for her to control you. You haven't even considered the idea. 

I'm a sucker for the love of the flesh

You smile back at Maven, putting your hands on his chest as he pulls you into a kiss. It's a moment you have been waiting for, and the wait has been worth it. You love the feeling of Maven's lips on yours. It's a feeling you wish to cherish forever.

All things rancid and delicate

But the smell in the summer heat

Evangeline watches from afar, wondering if you were really a red with powers. She begins to question the world around her. She wonders if you are a silver, then she wonders if not only silvers can have powers. She looks at Maven, wondering if he knows the truth. She doesn't trust him. She thinks he knows something more. 

It still gets to me

Your least favorite part of being a princess is the constant surrounding of people. You recognize who they are, you will always recognize the people who have been around you all of your life. But they look at you differently. Between them whispering and walking away from you, they begin to do the same with Maven. They fear what they don't know, and fear the people who know it. That's how the world works, right?

Knee-deep in the poacher's dream

He dragged that thing out back and he

Hung it upside down

Maven looks at you with eyes that he's never looked at anybody with. They are eyes with sympathy, eyes with regret and yet so filled with love. He feels so many things he hasn't explored before. 

And when he grabs your hand, the world for him explodes. He doesn't know what's going to happen. He doesn't know if it's gonna be his fault and if you're going to blame him. Will you still love him, even if his mother destroys your life? Will you continue to live with the height of being a princess - and soon a queen - on your shoulders?

And he held my head and made me watch

He filled my mouth up with its blood and said

"This is hard, I don't know how you live this way," you admit one day as you look at yourself in the reflection of a window in the castle. He watches over you, feeling like a king while you're just a pawn. No, it won't work that way. He won't let it work that way.

"Grow up weak or grow up tough," Elara adds on as she passes you. You don't pay her any mind, but Maven goes out of his way to stare at his mother. She stares back, pressing her blue eyes into the back of his skull when she starts to walk away. He looks at you, and you're just continuing what you're doing. Just like you didn't even hear her. Was she even talking to you?

He'd always hold my head

"One day you might be queen," he comments as you begin to walk down the hall. He notices the audible sounds your dress makes when you walk. You twirl a piece of your hair between your finger, looking forward. Your shoulders are back, you're walking like Blonos intended. You think about it. Being queen didn't ever hit you as hard as it should have. That means being able to give speeches in front of people, to always watch what you say and do, and most importantly; always be presentable and pretty.

"I don't think so," you respond back. 

Under the water a little too long

Maven grabs your hand tightly, bringing your wrist to his chest. You look him in the eyes. He didn't look angry, but it still fills you with fear. 

"I... think so," he lets out. His eyes travel your face, looking for expression before letting go of your wrist. You hold it close to you, rubbing the part where he squeezed to death. 

"Well, I'm sorry you think that way." You reply quietly.

"All survivors, no guilt" he said

And when the day finally came for him to betray Cal and his father, you had no idea about anything that was happening. You made eye contact with Evangeline for the last time that day as you passed her in the hall. She smiled at you. You didn't know why, but you smiled back. The absent of Maven and Elara made the castle a little draining. 

You were concerned for Maven, concerned for the people you grew to enjoy. And when Maven came back, everything was different.

But he calls me his crocodile tears

He was stronger, not the person you thought him to be. He was less emotional, showing pleasure in talking back to you. He didn't hold your hand anymore, and he didn't give you sweet kisses. With the pressure of his mom always in his head, he almost forgot what it felt like to love you. But it was always there, the love always remained until it got twisted with a sick desire. He can't say that he loves you anymore. He feels more than that, something far more sickening. He loves you more than anything in the world, and he wants you all for himself.

When I was done

Wiped my mouth on his sleeve

You never stopped appreciating Maven, though. Even though he seemed to stop caring about you, you never stopped reminding him that you could be the best in the world. Being queen wasn't as hard as you thought it to be since Maven decided he wouldn't let you do any of the speeches or public appearances. Did he not trust you? Or did he not want the world to know who you really are? You are fine with both answers. As long as Maven continues to be by your side, you are fine with him busying himself with his new job. All you do now is sit in his room and write. You write little notes for him to find when he comes into sleep late at night. Anything to keep him happy, you swear. Anything to keep him safe.

And Maven loves the notes. Even though he constantly screws you over, he can't believe you're still the person you trust yourself to be. You honestly bring him close to Earth and away from his mother. You are the thing that keeps him sane. 

I fucked the soul of the south but it crucified me