Songfic: When Love Comes

(Fun fact: I'm gay and whenever I write these I think about my girlfriend hello maybe I'll let her read this one day idk)

People always talk about it

All your peers would talk about as children were growing up and getting married, having children and being happy. It's odd... children dreaming about falling in love. You don't understand. What's so great about love?

Never understood its magic spell

Even as an adult, love is not something you're focused on. You'd rather work hard than have any love of your own. You know a lot of people who are in love. It's weird to you. You've never had anybody like that.

It can take your breath away or
So that's what the poets say

You read books, sure. You read books with love. Even in the protagonist's eyes, you don't feel like this is real. Do people really experience love? Or do they want it so bad they just make it up?

Never believed that anything could feel this true 

It wasn't until one day, at a little tent on the sidelines of a horrendous scene, you saw another silver walking with guards. You were healing a wounded citizen when you saw him. 

Don't see it coming till it's standing right in front of you

He stood with a crown on his head, his eyes scanning the area. Then, he looks at you. You two make breathtaking eye contact as time stops. You feel something in your chest, something so tingly and special. You've never thought this would happen. This is unbelievable, life is unbelievable. His face is so beautiful, the shape of his cheeks and nose. His lips are perfectly placed, you wish you can kiss them.

When love comes
It takes you by surprise

You blink, quickly focusing back on the citizen you were healing. Oh god, what if the silver disappears? You shouldn't have looked away. Know he can be gone forever. Why are your hands shaking? You've never felt this way, why is still so special? Is this...

When love comes
You'll never be the same

This couldn't be love, right? This is too strange. If love existed you'd want it to be with a friend, somebody you know. Not a random stranger on the street. Definitely not another silver; not a silver like you.

It scares you

If he walks away, will you ever find him again? What if this is the only time you find love and you'll never meet him again? Should you go up to him? Can you even find him again? You can't look, you have to focus. Healing. That's what you're here for. Not love.

Almost like it can't be real

Is this really happening to you? What if he walks away? You can't stop worrying about that. Don't want away, please, just stand in the same spot until I'm done

When love comes
It catches you off-guard

"Excuse me," you can hear a voice say. You look up, seeing the person who was once standing across the yard. Your face flushes a silver color as your heartbeat picks up. This isn't real? Is he really standing right in front of you? This is unbelievable. His voice matches his face, so smooth and beautiful.

You hope you make the moment last forever

You don't respond to him, you can't think of anything to say.

"Are you a silver?" He asks you. You blink, looking down at your hands. Isn't it obvious, are you going to make me admit it?

"Yes," you let out. His eyes sparkle as he looks at you. He looks at you like you're a treasure. Something about you just feels special in his eyes, like you're different from every other silver. 

When love comes
It struggles to belong
Don't fight it

You sigh, not wanting to look up at him. No, if this is love, you should accept it. This is the moment your life depends on. This is the moment all of your friends speak of. This is what it's like to feel love.

"Does that surprise you?" You ask him, looking up and blinking your eyes innocently. He almost smiles, smiles.

"Where I'm from, silvers don't go out of their way to heal reds." he explains, letting a small grin form on his face. You don't want this moment to slip away, you hold onto it. You wish he'll stay right there forever.

"My name is Maven," he says. He talks to you only for a second. He has to return to his duty as king.

When love comes

You feel tears form in your eyes when you watch him walk away.