Songfic: A Strange Thing To Say

(This song is the best thing I have ever heard in my life

AND ALSO

I'M FUCKING SCREAMING

BECAUSE THIS SONG MATCHES MAVEN SO MUCH JUST IN GENERAL

AND I'M CRYING?????)

I know it must seem to you like the strangest thing to say, 

You take Maven's arm and wrap it around your shoulder, smiling as you lean against him. He smiles, grabbing you and squeezing you close. All the hairs on your arms go up, his warmth contrasting your cold giving you goosebumps. He rocks you back and forth, laughing with you. The moment is surreal. You love growing up with Maven. He is the best person you have ever met. So beautiful, so surreal. The only true person you can talk to.

But in the winter of his presence I've always felt warm and safe.

He always holds you close, burying his face in your hair. He's such a gentleman, always keeping you safe. But it hurts, also. It hurts to know he is a prince, and you can never be a royal like him. But you love hanging out with him, placing yourself in a setting you could never be anyways. As a teenager, you love sneaking out with Maven just to hang out with him. No matter how cold the winds at night may be, he always finds a way to keep you warm.

I always knew no skirt no suit would ever bother me, 

You could never imagine being a royal. You could never imagine being a human. You were born to two humans, yes, but as the monster you are on the inside, you wouldn't consider you one. That's what it's like to be a silver. The type of silver you are, born of a silver and a red, is simply what every human calls a monster. You can manipulate a persons thoughts, even though you are a red. Nobody knows what you are. You don't know what you are.

I do like his company, I enjoy it, in fact, 

Even after the Queenstrial, which you were not allowed in, you always find your way of sneaking inside of Maven's room undetected. You don't think you can go a long while without seeing him. His presence is your remedy for the outside world. And gladly, Maven loves your company. He tells you about his day as he holds you close, stroking your soft skin with his fingers. It's the most fun you can ever have. 

He's the only human friend that I ever had,

You promise, inside of your heart, that Maven is the human you'll put before the rest. You would rather put a gun to your head then harm him, and that's how it has always been. You distracted him from getting attached to Mare, seducing him into your arms inside. You reminded him how evil she is and how much better you are. As he became king, you kept him looking positive and straightforward. You kept his future bright.

Which is quite ironic, 'cause he's mostly occupied

By the methods that exist to blow out people's lights...

You love the way Maven turned out. He is such a handsome ruler. The way he sits on the throne is what you bleed every morning. Because of him, you got the right to stay in the castle and be by his side. Every day you're in there, you wait for a moment to blow; to show everybody who you are and what you can become. Your skin itches for that opportunity to show how far you'll go to protect Maven. One day, you wish to see just how much a human-like Maven could do for you

I never had to worry though, it can't give me the chills,

Sometimes, only sometimes, you hear him whispering to himself in the night. He lets out simple thoughts out of his lips, maybe unknowingly. Sometimes you fear whatever is going on in his head. You can fix him, of course. To the best of your ability. You will fix him. You play with his head at night, trying to make him the ideal person you long for. A purely evil, intelligent thinking intellectual who could kill anybody for you.

But am surprised at my own delight

I find in seeing him again.

His fingers twitch whenever you hold them, something you've noticed over time. He is quieter. He thinks more. Nothing is amiss rather than that. A lot of people will go out of their way to try not to talk to him. He isn't... right. He growls under his breathe. It's something you're doing to him, it's something... wrong. 

It's so cool.

You love how animalistic he's become. He is your beast. No matter how concerning it is, it's more beautiful than anything.

White shirt, black tie, exquisite twine

"Gentlemen don't look down," you place your finger under his chin and tilt his face up. You're starting to dress him now, choosing everything for him. He seems compliant, too weak to go against you. Twitch, twitch. His hands are doing the thing again. You quickly grab them, standing in front of him. "You are perfect," you speak again. He smiles and kisses you.

It's quite seductive, if it's right,
The perfect way to spend the night...

He grabs your face, kissing you more passionate than he's ever before. His fingers are laced around your jawline as you pull him closer. Strange to say, he even tastes different. It's a weird thing to notice. But it's noticeable. It knocks you off a little bit but you end up getting into the kiss the same way Maven does.

His price is one that only broken hearts are willing to afford.

The next day, in this world, Maven was quick to behead Mare. You gave him that hatred, adding in his love for you. Mare doesn't exist anymore. In his heart, it's all you. Starting after that, he's starting to wheeze under his breathe. You can feel the rumble in his lungs. 

Oh god, you think. You squeeze your hands, clenching them into fists and releasing them. Twitch, twitch. God. It hurts. The twitching hurts. Does it hurt Maven, too?

"(Y/N)," your name is drawn out from Maven's lips. He's lifeless, like a walking zombie. He breathes from his mouth. He looks like his brain is melting.

You don't turn around to look at him. You only feel his chest against your back as he wraps his arms around you. You say, "you aren't well, Maven," but he doesn't listen to you. He just holds you tighter. Okay, crushing your ribcage a bit. You try to squirm from his grip. Tightens.

"Let me go," you try to say. In response, he buries his head into your hair and shakes his head. He doesn't tighten his grip, but it's still baring to breathe against. You struggle harder against him. Nothing. He's too strong. You can barely breathe now, his low grumble of a breathe echoing through your ears.

Death is always quite disastrous, messy, common and obscene, 

With all of your power, you reach back and touch his temples. You shut his brain down to the last speck. He falls, and you can breathe again. You go to the floor, wheezing hard. You can't feel anything. You look back at Maven, his body on the ground. Have you ever loved him? You can't remember. All you think about is your need to make him the best. 

That involves getting slain by some filthy amateur's hands.

You stare at your hands.

Was this really your doing? Turning him into a zombie while also harming yourself.

Twitch, twitch.

Your lungs clench. You let out a slow wheeze, grasping your diaphragm. Everything hurts.

I know that you must surely think me mad, 

You turn your body to Maven and crawl towards him. His chest doesn't move, his eyes are open. You can barely breathe now, only gasp for air. Getting closer to him makes it worse like he's radioactive or something. But you lay on his chest, already missing his warmth. The wind blows on you, reminding you of the nights you'd spend sneaking out to him. That feels like an eternity ago.

But he's the most human friend that I ever had...