One Shot: Childhood Monsters

You race down the hall, turning a rough corner as your hand reaches the floor, supporting yourself from falling. You pant with demon lungs as you chase the child through his home. Your mouth is open, sharp teeth exposed to the world. Your thick horns tingle your head as the wind blows on them. The boy you are chasing is only years younger than you, even as you are different species. You are the embodiment of a nightmare, sleeping under beds and hanging out with demons. But you love messing with children in the human world, especially silver ones.

The pale-skinned, black-haired boy with pale blue eyes ran from you and straight into his mother's arms. She was exiting her room at the time, and you halted. Elara cannot see you but that doesn't make her any less terrifying. You go to the floor, tracing the floor around Elara as Maven hugged himself closer to her.

Maven cries monster as his mom holds him close. His mother puts a slim hand behind his head, bringing him close as she slowly opened her door. You back up, knowing you've gotten Maven in trouble. She leads him into her room and slowly closes the door.

~

You love being under his bed. You scrap on the floor, claws screeching against the floor. Maven hangs his hand from his bed, his young teenage self-tired of you doing this every night. You nuzzle your head into his hand, his fingers curling against your temples as you purr against him. Every year since you stopped messing with him, he has shown his dominance. You feel like a simple house pet. It's fun to act like that.

"You're back," Maven mumbles from under his breath. His voice is raspy, easily trying to sleep. You blink, crawling from under the bed and standing over him.

"And you are back. You have been gone for so long." You whisper, climbing on top of his bed. He sits up and looks at you, your eyes reflecting a full moon on this late night. Maven grabs your hand lightly, stroking your knuckles with his thumb. For once in his life, he's met somebody with warmer hands than his. Yours feels like a fresh blue flame in his palm.

You climb in his chest, curling up into a small ball on top of him. He lets out the ghost of a laugh as he awkwardly wraps his arms around you. You nuzzle against his neck, trying not to hit him with your cut off horns. When you and Maven reached good turns, you thought of your horns as a danger towards him. And your claws, as sharp as knives, grow back days after shortening them. You just want Maven to feel safe, and not to shun you like how you imagine in your head. Honestly, Maven is the best friend you could ever have.

~

"(Y/N)," Maven whispers under his breathe. He's lying awake, remembering when he was a child how you would randomly pop up. You haven't done that in awhile. He misses you. He missed you when he became king. He missed you when his father died. He missed you when Cal was the bigger brother. He missed you during the Queenstrial. He wishes you'll come back again.

He even hung his hand other the edge of the bed, wishing you'd nuzzle him again. But his hand just hangs, the wind brushes against him before he brings his hand back under the blanket.

~

You stand over him as he sleeps, holding your elbows as you stare down at him. You're a grown woman now. You truly look like the monster you were born to be. Skin; scales. Horns; protruding like the devil's nails. Claws; longer than the chain on a chainsaw. You can't let Maven see the monster that you grew to be. You don't visit him anymore, not even when you hear him whisper your name in your sleep. You hide in the shadows, making sure he doesn't get himself hurt. Like a guardian angel.