Songfic: Karma

I've lost my mind

Beep beep, beep beep

Nothing made this sound except your head. It wasn't the sound of your heart beating or your blood rushing. It was the mechanical whirl of your gears turning as they processed information. Literally.

The skies are crashing around me

 I'm left behind

You watch as everyone has fun around you. Something that isn't human; something like you will never be able to have fun like that. You are left in the castle, left to do work as you only pretend to be alive.

You lead me down a dark path

But I'm who you blame for the aftermath

Maven tells you everything will be alright, he tells you that every day. Your creator, Evangeline, made you when she was very young. She learned how to make a metal being and how an electric shock can make everything start working. She played with you until she got too old and cast you aside, finding you later one as a slave. Maven, her, and Mare are the only ones who know you exist. The only ones who care.

You've broken me down and I

Am left alone here to cry

Evangeline keeps you in a small cell at the end of the castle, not caring to repair you from the damage. Your rust, missing arm, and melted bits are only one part of the damage.

You've driven us both to crash 

And escape without a scratch

Mare purposely bugs you out, shocking you to see your reactions. She doesn't think of you as a human, she doesn't know you have feelings. Maven sees you differently though. He looks at you in amazement and not disgust. He's different somehow.

It's time to get what you deserve 

I'm holding out for karma

Even though he's different, he's still the same. Leaving you alone for weeks without checking on you. Everything will be okay, he repeats. You wonder if he thinks of you like everyone else. Maybe he's just busy. Maybe you're too forgettable.

I'm holding out to watch you burn

Sometimes you think about destroying them all. Sometimes you think about lighting fire to all of them and watching them cry out to you. But when you do think of that, you end up thinking about Maven. Maven and his smile as he looks at you. That calms you down.

Shoot me down 

Of course, I'm the sinful one here 

But now I've found

 A reason to feel no fear

Maven makes you happy, Maven makes you want to live longer than expected. Thinking about Maven is like thinking about your future. Maybe one day you get to be with him. 

Not like you'll ever be queen, not when everyone one around you is having fun. 

We're screaming out

Now you're thinking, everyone around you? I thought you were in a cell? No, no, no. You broke out. You wanted to prove everyone wrong. You can pick locks rather easily as you go into random rooms, stealing dresses and crowns. You look beautiful draped in black. A crown on your head only makes you look more magical.

I'm not usually the type 

To hold a grudge

You walked into the hallway, looking left and right. Knowledge is everywhere. The way the drapes fall, so unique. Why does it feel so amazing here? You have a hard time being sneaky, your metal scraping against each other is rather loud. Loud enough to catch Maven's attention from across the wing. Maven excuses himself as he exits the realm of silvers and heads towards the familiar sound of you.

Give what you take

"(Y/N)," he lets out, clicking his tongue once he sees you.

"Who let you out?" He asks.

"I let myself out, I wanted to see you." You say softly. His eyes soften lightly.

Take what you give

"I'm sorry," you let out. Lies. You step closer to Maven. He doesn't step back. Rather, he wraps his arms around your shoulders and brings you close.

"Don't ever do that again." He whispers.

"I guess." You whisper back. This is what you wanted, just to be in his arms. And it feels great.