Songfic: Othello

I don't expect someone like you to get the value in your peeled off skin

You watch Maven talks to the reds, trying to make them think he's on their side. Ridiculous. Reds don't deserve Maven's love. Only you do. Why can't they see that? Maven doesn't understand how powerful his words are to these people. Reds can twist them and make them something they never meant to be. Reds work like that.

Aren't you content to swallow any set of words you've heard the peddler pin?

You're waiting for Maven to mess up, you're waiting for him to say something he didn't mean. He doesn't. He never messes up. Pathetic.

I knew it.

Only when Maven is alone with you does he run a hand through his hair, showing his distress nonverbally. You smile when his back is turned to you. You knew that not every perfect silver is always that perfect.

"I love you," you remind him.

Your ethics met with a view imperfect, you named the face behind the mask

"I love you, too," he replies without meaning it. He only views you as a friend. And that's good enough, right? You two are being forced to marry so it's not exactly the worst.

And yeah,

One by one, we come undone as everyone sees, yes,

You two argue more than often. Evangeline thinks it's funny. She smiles whenever she overhears you. Mare can't stand the sound. You can't either. Maven's raised voice is like a therapy session. You'd suggest stopping arguing but you just really like winning.

Just like you said, secrets spread to stories

You don't know what people say about you. You don't care to listen. You know it's bad stuff. You've never been a good girl.

The controversy stops me, starting to weep, and then for

Once in my life it feels like I can't speak

You never talk to Maven unless it's an argument. You can't stand by whenever he talks to the reds. Everyone prefers you to stand back quietly. And that's what you do. You can try to argue. But sometimes you just don't feel like an advocate.

Don't think I'm satisfied just 'cause you cried

When his mother died... he was in despair. You tried to coax him to live normally but his head was too filled with static. He began not even looking human, just looking empty.

Although there's no one around, I keep shouting "hello"

You try to talk to him, he doesn't answer. You try to talk to anyone but nobody listens. You're just there. The girl Maven was to marry. Why were you even by his side? Doesn't he love you?

My anger recurs, and blurs to endless echoes

Why did he even have to bring Mare into the fucking castle? His attention drives away from you and to her. Fucking hell. 

"I don't love her," Maven responds to you, turning around to continue organizing his workplace.

"Quit your lying you fucking abortion!" You yell while crossing your arms. Maven's shoulders stiffs, the room goes hot, he says nothing. You close one eye, starring at the back of his neck with the open one. Your breath slows. Talking like that won't make him love you.

"I know you love her more than you love me, you can tell me... I-I won't be mad." You twist your hair with your finger nervously. He still doesn't respond.

Just go away, you're making it worst.

You shouldn't have gotten up this morning.

You're just making him hate you more.

Pathetic. You'd better hurry up and die

You turn away, a hand on the door.

"Bye, now." You whisper to no one. No one.

"I don't love her," he repeats to the table, hoping the table didn't listen. He hopes nobody listened.

"Yes, you do." The table replies nonverbally.

Puffing out your chest, go on play brave I guess, but staying vague just paints an act

When you close the door you see humans of different drops of blood. You smile, shaking your head. You open your mouth to say something obnoxious but then quickly close it. No need to make things worse for yourself. You realize that. But it's too late. It's been too late for a while now.

Give me forgiveness, I promise you'll regret it. Turn a blind eye to the knife behind you back

Maven puts down his papers. He collapses in his chair, his fingers to his temples. His fingers are shaking. So is he.

He doesn't love Mare because...

Those stupid excuses aren't letting you go

Why doesn't he love Mare?

Why does he love Mare?

Why doesn't he have answers?

But you know what he does have?

You.

But even then, I still feel this pain all the same

If you don't care to listen, you can just go away

When you get to your room you stare at the painting of Maven starring at you.

"Do you love me?" You ask the painting. The painting looks away. And eventually, so do you. And eventually, so does everyone else. Excluding Maven. Maven finds himself looking at you. You find yourself looking back. And it stays that way.