Songfic: Catch

(rawr

Happy 150

that number will probably change because I'm constantly deleting things but woohoo for now

Also, isn't it insane how we all imagine Maven differently? Woah)

I'm not quite the man I said I'd be

You sit across from Maven. The room around you is in your home. The table is wooden, a nice park bench texture. The walls in your visions are a light blue color. You painted them yourself. There are bowls of brownies to your left, life is great. You and Maven both hold huge, tall books on in front of your faces as you continue to kick each other. 

It's fun here, of course. But Maven feels nervous everytime he's around you. Just seeing you smile at him always strikes fear into him. He's not the good guy you make him out to be. He knows that. What will you do if you find out who he truly is? Will you still love him?

And over the paper, your glance disappointed me

You scrunch up a piece of lined paper, throwing it over the book. You look at it, seeing the paper hit Maven's head. He looks up to. He squints his eyes with a slight smile. You laugh. You two stare at each other for a while, taking in your appearances. Maven looks so young now, so calm in this state. 

You say to him, "I love you." He only smiles back, ducking back behind his book. You two are not even adults yet, very young. Sometimes you'd steal him from the castle and play with him. Not literally, he consents. Wink wonk.

How am I supposed to run to you?

You continue looking at him. Despite your smiles and laughs, you're really weary about this. You bite your nails everytime Maven shows up, wondering when he'll get called out to either war or to get married off. It's eventually going to happen, you know. You can't get closer to Maven than you are now. He's going to leave. You don't want to get to connected. So you smile, you make Maven feel good about himself in the time you two have together.

Make you leave your weapons on the ground

Maven feels like a human around you. Not a prince, not a subject, just a normal teenager. He's happy that you enjoy spending time with him like this. Maven knows that you're not going to last, something is going to happen to either you or him. Not all good things last forever. From behind the book, Maven rests his forehead on the table. He's happy to be alive. After some silence, from under the table, you place your foot on top of his. It's reassurance.

This is a two-way street, not a cul-de-sac

"Hey," you whisper with a soft voice. You put your book down and wait for him to do the same. When he does, you stare at him with your serious eyes. You reach out, grabbing his hand. You can sense when he's not feeling well. He should never feel like that, you'll make him happy. 

And if I threw my heart and made a pass

He looks up to you, "Let's walk," he invites. You stand up, putting away the two books as Maven stretches. "Old man," you mock before taking his hand in yours. He gave a simple defiant laugh before walking with you out the door. The air is cold, not touching you heavy dressed teenagers. Maven's hand keeps you warm. 

Would your hands reach out when I said "Catch"

You stare at Maven, watching his face. He's going to shape into a beautiful man, you can tell. Will he be as nice as he is now? Or will he become a brutal monster? You squeeze his hand, hoping for the best outcome. 

"Promise me you'll stay good." You say to him. His face recoils as he turns to you. He stops walking and drops your hand. There's something on his mind. 

"I promise," he gives you a grin before turning back to the path. "Let's go." You stand for a second before following behind him. You hop on rocks and logs, balancing on them as Maven leads you to the castle he stays. This is usually what occurs, Maven invites you to walk and you walk him to his home. You hate how he leaves you outside and you have to walk home alone. 

I look into your eyes and it gets to me

Maven ignores you as you continue walking with your arms out. He's in thought. Staying good? You think he is good? Of course, a red like you, somebody as small and innocent wouldn't understand the silver agenda. Maven knows that in his future he won't be the kind-hearted boy he is now. He doesn't want to disappoint you, though, he knows he'll eventually scare you away.

"I love you, too," he finally responds. You look up at him, staring at the back of his head. 

Won't you take off your disguise, I just wanna see

Thank you

"I believe in you," you push. He waves his hand at you, like a 'yeah, yeah.

You two walk in silence after that. By the sounds of the birds and the cicadas, everything is peaceful to you. By the time you actually make it to the castle, you're in a lighter mood. You lean on the outer walls as Maven grabs you by the waist. It's more like a ritual, the same event happening every time you two go out. He kisses you, holding you like a doll. You put her hands in his hair before he pulls back dramatically. You watch him as he leaves. And then you stay in your spot, looking at the trees and environment.

Lights go out, I can't escape

And then you'd walk home. You enjoy it while it lasts.