Songfic: Secret for the Mad

I've got a secret for the mad

You sat in the corner of the library, your feet together in a butterfly as a pendulum swung between your fingers. The fire crackled in the background, the light not daring to touch you. 

in a little bit of time it won't hurt so bad

Maven sat too, a book in his hand. He was on the couch, drowning in light. You pitied him.

but you will burn right now but then you won't regret it

The fire seemed to soothe him as he relaxed into it, the crackling like music to his ears. He looks like an angel to you, so beautiful. You can't help but stare.

you're not gonna believe a word I say 

what's the point in just drowning another day

You put your head back down. Your white clothes drawing dust as you sit unmovingly. Even when he's not supposed to, Maven enjoys your company.

and there will be a day when you can say you're okay and mean it 

The books in the library line up against each other, the knowledge hidden to the world. Maven pretends to read. He thinks. He wonders about you. His obedient secret. 

there are a hundred people who will listen to you cry

Knip picking at words to make you right again, you think about the lines flying in your head. You feel like singing. You feel like writing. You feel like flying. But you know now isn't the time and place. You know you can't do any of those.

you're at the bottom, this is it 

just get through, you will be fixed

Maven looks at you, his eyes glancing. His gaze softens.

He takes you out of your cell every day to let you go to the library and play with trinkets. You can barely form words with that broken tongue, but to him, your drabbles meant the world. He had you once before, but you saw something you shouldn't have. Now you stay in the shadows of the world, drawing circles with your thumb. 

and you think, that I don't get it 

but I burned my way through and I don't regret it

Maven closes his eyes, resting his chin in his palm. The world around you is so beautiful but your eyes are too weak to see. Why would he even consider seeing you anymore? Do you even remember who he is? Does that even matter to him as much as you do?

I promise you it'll all make sense again